Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Disable or Remove Metro UI in Windows 8 CP?

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Default Disable or Remove Metro UI in Windows 8 CP?

hi !

How can i remove / disable Metro UI in Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

Last edited by hackerman1; 1st March 2012 at 12:17.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

There was a way in the Developer Preview to remove it using a registry hack. I have not personally tested it with the Consumer Preview, though.

Disable Metro in Windows 8 Developer Preview | MSTechPages

that reg-hack doesnīt work.
    why do you think i asked....?

pdw98 is offline New Member

Dear Sirs,
    There is a tool on this site called Metro UI Tweaker. It is shown here: thewindowsclub.com/metro-ui-tweaker-windows-8-released. It completely disabled the Metro UI when used with the Windows 8 Developer's Preview. HOWEVER, it does not disable the Metro UI that cimes with Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I should like to implore the developer for this most EXCELLENT tool to investigate as to how the Metro UI Tweaker application for the new Win 8 CP.

Much love and thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pdw98 View Post
    Dear Sirs,
    There is a tool on this site called Metro UI Tweaker. It is shown here: thewindowsclub.com/metro-ui-tweaker-windows-8-released. It completely disabled the Metro UI when used with the Windows 8 Developer's Preview. HOWEVER, it does not disable the Metro UI that cimes with Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I should like to implore the developer for this most EXCELLENT tool to investigate as to how the Metro UI Tweaker application for the new Win 8 CP.

Much love and thanks,
    Paul
    thatīs exactly what i already posted above...
    you canīt disable Metro with that reg-hack, and since the tool Metro UI Tweaker used that registry-setting it also doesnīt work !

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Looks like Microsoft doesnt want us to disable the Metro UI Anyway, lets wait for the new version and see ...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Looks like Microsoft doesnt want us to disable the Metro UI Anyway, lets wait for the new version and see ...
    well, i already have a few ideas....

i started doing some experiments yesterday....

i took a look at MS own W8-forum, a LOT of people are pi**ed off, talking about switching over to LINUX....
    and as someone posted there, itīs the same everywhere (other forums), Metro isnīt popular....
    i also have a few things to say about it, but iīm not sure i can post it here....

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Go ahead Even I am not to comfortable with the new UI .... yet !

DustinH is offline Senior Member

I'm amazed at how quick people will say they are going to jump ship and go to Linux/Mac while using a beta version of an unreleased operating system. "My video card doesn't have Windows 8 drivers and doesn't work right, I'm going to Mac, it just works.". That gets an eye roll from me.

I'm not too happy on the Metro UI on the desktop yet. But, I'm getting used to it - slowly. It's not that it's bad, it's just a huge radical change. It's completely different than what we were used to and had been using for the past 17 years. Heck, maybe they will put the Start menu back in there, or have an option to have a "legacy mode" for Windows 7 style interface. Who knows. It's still not a finished product. Post what you think. There are a lot of shortcomings with the MetroUI on the desktop (it takes some highly intelligent geeks 5-15 minutes to find the shut down option without using Alt-F4 at the desktop), but it is also a very simple and elegant UI. Just WAY different.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    well, i already have a few ideas....

i started doing some experiments yesterday....

i took a look at MS own W8-forum, a LOT of people are pi**ed off, talking about switching over to LINUX....
    and as someone posted there, itīs the same everywhere (other forums), Metro isnīt popular....
    i also have a few things to say about it, but iīm not sure i can post it here....

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Updated. Does not work. (Thanks, hackerman1!)

If after trying the new Metro start screen, you want to have the desktop at startup, see the instructions at Group Policy Central by Microsoft MVP Alan Burchill, The must have Windows 8 Start Menu Group Policy Setting.

As Alan reports, "The “Do not show the Start Menu when the user logs in” policy allows you to boot the OS into the more familiar desktop and not the Metro start menu."

The setting is located at User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar.

Update #2 / Rant: OMG! In closer look at the help of the setting it says “this group policy only applies to the Windows Server 8 Beta” meaning that Microsoft are deliberately forcing people to launch the start menu. The fact that this is NOT something that can be controlled is VERY frustrating a reeks of an Apple like attitude of telling us that is not something we want. I get that the default is to launch into the metro start menu and I even think it is a better menu than the traditional start menu. But taking away people’s choice to go straight to the desktop is going to anger a lot people like myself especially when we know it is a Server OS option.
    Last edited by Corrine; 6th March 2012 at 00:15. Reason: Update: Does not work in Windows 8 CP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast