DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus program for Windows 8 ?

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Default Antivirus program for Windows 8 ?

hi !

There isnīt many programs available yet, Microsoft lists a few, fx. Kaspersky & F-Secure.
    But, they have not released their programs yet.
    Norton is however already available for download.

I tried to install Forefront EndPoint Security 2010 (FEP), but the installer refused to install on W8.
    I then downloaded the next version of Forefront, which is now called Security Center Endpoint Protection 2012 (SCEP).
    Itīs a pre-release (beta) but i installed it without any complaints about W8.
    The latest version was recently released, so i suspected that it would run on W8.
    But before you go ahead and try to find it, a small warning: the whole download is 1,4 GB (GIGABYTE !).

The Antivirus-program itself (the client) is only 18 MB, but you have to download the whole Security Center Endpoint Protection 2012, and then extract the Antivirus-program from the exe-file.
    But since SCEP 2012 works, i suspect that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) v4 also works, since itī s also a recently released beta.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Nope. MSE Beta 4.0.1111.0 does not install on Windows 8 CP. "Your version of the Windows operating system is not supported by this program.".

Darn it.

Quote Originally Posted by DustinH View Post
    Nope. MSE Beta 4.0.1111.0 does not install on Windows 8 CP. "Your version of the Windows operating system is not supported by this program.".

Darn it.
    OK.
    Thanks for the info, you saved me time.
    I had planned to test MSE v4 on W8 today....

But you can download SCEP 2012 from Microsoft !
    SCEP 2012: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/serve...tion-2012.aspx

Itīs free for everyone to download, just login and get it, itīs a 180-day trial so you can use it until other antivirus-programs is available....
    Last edited by hackerman1; 2nd March 2012 at 13:54.

hi !

I just found some interesting info on MSīs W8-forum: How do I keep Windows 8 Consumer Preview secure from malware? - Microsoft Answers

Windows Defender in W8 is a combination of the "old" Defender and MSE !
    Of course i thought that "Windows Defender" in control panel was the same as the "old" defender.
    And iīm probably not the only one assuming that...
    Classical Microsoft-weird, they should have renamed it to MSE or something else, so people could recognize that something is new.

So if you donīt want to download something else then you can use the "NEW" Defender v6.2.8250
    But one thing is VERY annoying, there is NO taskbar-icon for Defender, which can give you the impression that it have stopped working....

And there is also NO settings for when you want to run a scheduled scan.

Personally iīm switching back to SCEP ("Business version of MSE").
    Last edited by hackerman1; 2nd March 2012 at 14:55.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    hi !

I just found some interesting info on MSīs W8-forum: How do I keep Windows 8 Consumer Preview secure from malware? - Microsoft Answers

Windows Defender in W8 is a combination of the "old" Defender and MSE !
    Of course i thought that "Windows Defender" in control panel was the same as the "old" defender.
    And iīm probably not the only one assuming that...
    Classical Microsoft-weird, they should have renamed it to MSE or something else, so people could recognize that something is new.

So if you donīt want to download something else then you can use the "NEW" Defender v6.2.8250
    But one thing is VERY annoying, there is NO taskbar-icon for Defender, which can give you the impression that it have stopped working....

And there is also NO settings for when you want to run a scheduled scan.

Personally iīm switching back to SCEP ("Business version of MSE").
    He is saying:

In Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials have been combined into a single, pre-installed feature of Windows, named Windows Defender. If you’ve used Security Essentials in the past, Windows Defender on Windows 8 Consumer Preview will look very familiar. You can find it by typing Windows Defender on the Start screen, and then clicking the Settings filter.

I have not installed Windows 8 yet, but can you verify on your Win8, in any way, if this is true!?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    He is saying:

In Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials have been combined into a single, pre-installed feature of Windows, named Windows Defender. If you’ve used Security Essentials in the past, Windows Defender on Windows 8 Consumer Preview will look very familiar. You can find it by typing Windows Defender on the Start screen, and then clicking the Settings filter.

I have not installed Windows 8 yet, but can you verify on your Win8, in any way, if this is true!?
    Yes, itīs true.

I turned off SCEP, and turned off Defender instead.
    But, as i already posted above, itīs NOT the same as MSE: "But one thing is VERY annoying, there is NO taskbar-icon for Defender, which can give you the impression that it has stopped working....
    And there is also NO settings for when you want to run a scheduled scan."

So the options under settings are a bit limited.
    Personally iīve already switched back to SCEP ("Business version of MSE").
    The Documentation on Technet regarding SCEP was last updated 2012-01-01, so i interpreted that as the newest pre-release (RC) being relatively fresh, meaning it would be updated for W8.

And itīs working so far, no BSODīs or any other weird behaiviour.
    Iīm going to test it with same EICAR-files, just to see if it reacts....
    Iīm just surfing on "safe" websites at the moment, so itīs no big securityrisk anyway.
    Btw. i also have a few other ideas regarding security on W8, but iīll post that in another thread.

ps.
    WinPatrol runs on W8
    ds.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 2nd March 2012 at 17:27.

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

@Dustin, The 'normal' (None Beta) version of MSE work with Win 8. I installed it yesterday and it appears to be working fine.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the info, John. But, now that they have combined the two into Windows Defender, I guess I don't need it anymore.

I heard about this a while back, but it totally skipped my mind when thinking about a security solution. After hackerman1 said something, then I remembered and it was a "duh" moment for me!

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

I like to see that the anti virus is working properly, hence I like an icon in the notification area. Windows Defender doesn't put an icon in the notification area, in fact I can't even find an icon anywhere. If I decide to run Windows 8 preview full time on my machine I will probably install Sophos (assuming it works). Changing from Metro to normal desktop is a little confusing at the moment; it is going to take some getting used to:-) I can't say i'm overly impressed with Windows 8 at the moment but we shall have to wait and see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast