Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advantages of Windows 8 Over Windows 7

Chr!s is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arun Kumar View Post
    ... In my case, I removed all the unwanted tiles so it is less congested. Though I would have wanted MS to name it something else like Tiles 1.0 or even Tiles Mobile OS instead of Windows as there are no more windows (at least, I wont call those elements windows).
    You're right but what's about clashing with style between Metro and desktop apps?
    If you start a desktop app with a tile from Start Screen the OS first switches to the 'old fashioned' desktop.
    I prefer to have two separated environments: Metro & Tiles with Modern apps on one side and desktop with windowed apps on the other. Maybe the latter will vanish in far future but now I can't see this.

Chris

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

All of you clapping and yaying! over Windows 8 boot time obviously have a fresh install.
    Do yourself a favor ...... load the OS up with every piece of software and external hardware you had on Windows 7, after that reboot, I'd bet cash money your Windows 8 boot time is now more comparable to your Windows 7 boot time.

I've tried both, fresh installs of 7 and 8 and both boot times on clean machines are very, very comparable. I too had a seven second boot time with a fresh installs of both 7 and 8, use 8 for a week or two and load it up with software and you will see that seven second boot time start to progressively climb. The boot time thing was just a marketing tactic used by Microsoft because they knew they had a dead whale on their hands before they even released 8 they knew they were going to have a hard time with sales. Why do you think we see SO MANY Windows 8 commercials? because their sales are WAY down, They really didn't even have to advertise for 7, people were lining up for it before it was released.
    I got in on the Windows 8 deal when it was $40, luckily I did because after 3 weeks of using it I am now back to seven, the disk for 8? is now in a box of software "never to be used again". To me it was worth the forty bucks to see my expectations confirmed.
    Those of you that are going to pay the extremely costly price for 8, let me give you a word of warning, after you buy it, install it and start using it your going to feel like you were just raped and sodomised. The OS is simply just not worth what Microsoft is charging for it, you can get a more user friendly, and pleasantly looking OS for FREE from Linux. Those of you that have paid the rediculous price for it ...... my condolances to you.

Besides, being a home user 5 or 10 seconds in boot time really doesn't mean sh!t to me, it gives me a chance to get my coffee going in the morning. It's also not like my employer is going to switch to 8 any time soon ....LMAO, my employer has already made his opinion of 8 known ....... "We will switch to 7 when support for XP expires in 2014, as for 8 never, it's nothing but a heaping pile of dog sh!t"

I may give it another "wing" when 8.1 comes out later this year with all it's "promised" improvements but I have a feeling there will be one more added disk to the "never to be used again" box.
    Last edited by edee; 27th April 2013 at 16:11.

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by edee View Post
    All of you clapping and yaying! over Windows 8 boot time obviously have a fresh install.
    Do yourself a favor ...... load the OS up with every piece of software and external hardware you had on Windows 7, after that reboot, I'd bet cash money your Windows 8 boot time is now more comparable to your Windows 7 boot time.
    Will agree with you on that. Win8 combined with Office 2013 is a wreck on both my PC and laptop. When they tried to make a tablet/mobile OS, I guess they should have kept it lightweight. Instead, they added so many features in Windows 8 that I suppose most people even wont want to use. Plus most of my work happens on desktop mode - photoshop, corel, premiere etc so it was waste of resources.

With 8.1 promising Start Menu, I still think it will be hard on resources. In my opinion, Microsoft should have come up with two versions of Windows 8: One for PC/Laptops and One for mobile tablets. Not everyone can afford Surface Pro. The Dell machine costs Rs 90K. I can buy four laptops with Windows 7 at that cost. The advisers or whoever is responsible for this, got it totally wrong. In an attempt to outdo iOS and Android, they spoiled their best product. There is still time. Make it two versions bt I doubt. Won't having two interfaces (as 8.1 promises) consume more resources?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12