Thread: Beginners Guide On How To Get A High Google PageRank.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Post Beginners Guide On How To Get A High Google PageRank.

There is already SO MUCH written on this topic already, so just quoting Google and touching upon my personal experiences here, since there appear to be quite a few Microsoft tech related bloggers here on this forum. And yes, I also must admit before-hand itself, that I am a layman in this area actually. So if you have anything to add, please do so.

Your site's ranking in Google search results is partly based on analysis of those sites that link to you. The quantity, quality, and relevance of links count towards your rating.

However, some webmasters engage in link exchange schemes and build partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites. Such link exchanges can negatively impact your site's search engine rankings:
    Links intended to manipulate PageRank
    Links to web spammers or bad neighborhoods on the web
    Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging
    Buying or selling links that pass PageRank

The best way to get other sites to create relevant links to yours is to create unique, relevant content that can quickly gain popularity in the Internet community. The more useful content you have, the greater the chances someone else will find that content valuable to their readers and link to it.

So before making any decision, you should ask yourself the question: Is this link going to be beneficial for my page's visitors? It is not just the number of links you have pointing to your site that matters, but also the quality and relevance of those links.

So to get a higher pagerank you need to effectively have good original content and have links only with those websites or blogs which are related to the main subject of your site. Random linking, even with high pagerank sites may not always be beneficial. I only link up with Microsoft Tech related websites or blogs.

Join and spend quality time in good tech forums. Forums are a nice way of getting back-links to your website. Esp those forums which allow siggy links. Forums with an international profile will give you global hits too!

Dont forget internal linking. Getting links from other sites is a good thing but do take of linking up your relevent internal pager with each other. It is crucial to organize your own site well to optimize PageRank of all your pages.

Aiming for and having a PR4 is good enough. Below that it doesnt count much, in any case. If you get more than that GREAT ! Being a PR watcher can give you a lot of heartburns. So dont just think of and aim for a high PR; unless ofcourse you are in the business of selling links. Here a high PR matters a lot. Otherwise a high PR doesnt necessarily give you a better search rankings.

iMav is offline Gold Member

My blog somehow managed to get a PR of 4 last month which is 4 months into inception. It's all about content and correctly SEOing your site/blog.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

^Why don't you write a tut?

This is not mine, just found in on my laptop Dont have source:

Some PageRank Myths.

PR is derived from the PR of a pages incoming links. It is not influenced directly by the type or quality of your content, the absolute number of links or how many times you click on your search results. PR is calculated using the formula - PR(A) = (1-d) + d (PR(T1)/C(T1) + … + PR(Tn)/C(Tn)) it looks complicated, but it can be simplified as, The PR passed to a page = PR of the linking page/outgoing links*dampning factor.

Outgoing links don’t reduce the total PR of that page. A PR8 page with 10 links will still be a PR8 if you add another 100 outgoing links. It will however affect the amount of PR that page can pass to other pages, so it becomes important when thinking about a websites internal link structure.

Pagerank does not equal search engine rankings. Yes it’s part of the ranking algorithm, but I tend to look upon PR as being a derivitive of good rankings. Great links result in good rankings, great links also tend to pass high Pagerank.

The Google Toolbar PR is your current PR. Not really, the PR in the toolbar can be up to 6 months out of date, even when it updates it is still 2-3 months old.

A sites homepage doesn’t always have the highest PR. They tend to as they generally attact the majority of incoming links, but this isn’t always the case.

Here is an interesting illustration which Ii came across which explains how exponentially difficult it gets to get the 'next' jump in PR.

Google PageRank Explained:
    Google assigns a numeric weighting from 0-10 for each webpage on the Internet; this PageRank denotes your site’s importance in the eyes of Google.

Hari Maurya is offline Senior Member

Mine is 3 ( Average ).....needs more hard work....thanks for the article Anand !

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

for me its Pr 1 although my blog is 1.5 months old when Pr was updated now its almost 3 months..