Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with free Video Converter by Extensoft

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Default Problems with free Video Converter by Extensoft

I found said video converter download on this websites homepage. When I tried to use it for conversion of an FLV file, it asked to install a "Video Compressor" first. But no mention at all from where to get this. So I am lost and the program is pretty useless as is. Anybody have an idea from where to get this video compressor?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I have asked the company to respond. Hope they do so soon.

Recd mail from the company :

"Thanks for contacting us and pointing this question. I will ask our developers to research this issue, as indeed we might've forgot to provide more information - probably some codecs (or codec pack) are needed or should be recommended. I'll respond on your forum once I have proper info."

So we wait ....

Extensoft is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I found said video converter download on this websites homepage. When I tried to use it for conversion of an FLV file, it asked to install a "Video Compressor" first. But no mention at all from where to get this. So I am lost and the program is pretty useless as is. Anybody have an idea from where to get this video compressor?
    I suspect that this message is shown when you try to add (open) a movie in the Free Video Converter? If so, you actually would need a video codec (we may have a bug by suggesting "video compressor") that allows your computer to open and play this video. Every video is compressed with a codec that is also needed later to play it or convert it to a different format. A good test would be to open your video in Windows Media Player (WMP) and check if it plays properly, while WMP may also show the name of the codec needed to play it. Some people install codec packs (codec pack - Google Search) to be able to open most video files, so this can also help.

However, I recommend contacting us at support@extensoft.com to discuss your specific issue in more detail.

Paul Hudson
    Extensoft

whs

Thanks for all the answers and thanks Andy for going thru the trouble contacting Extensoft. The situation is this:
    1. It is a standard .flv file that plays with Adobe Flash Player on my system
    2. I do have the K-Lite Codec pack installed
    3. I did convert this and other .flv files with a program called "Replay Media Catcher" and also with "Media Converter SA Edition" (poor quality though)
    4. The WMM does not accept the file. I get this very strange message:"C:\Users\WHS\Videos\V0.flv could not be imported. The specified module could not be found." - although it is clearly at the specified address. It will easily import a .wmv file from the same folder.
    I will contact the Extensoft support people as suggested by Paul Hudson.

Quick update: I forgot to mention earlier that the .flv does not play with the WMP but it does play with VLC.
    Last edited by whs; 29th December 2008 at 18:55.

Extensoft is offline New Member

Unfortunately I suspect that we do not support opening FLV files, only creating them. I'll confirm with our developers and respond directly to your last email.

Paul

whs

Here is the good news. I got it to work. I downloaded the .flv Codec from here: (PlayFLV ). My K-Lite was installed a long time ago and I must have deselected .flv at the time. I am always very careful with Codec packs, because they can create all kinds of conflicts.
    When I opened my .flv in Video Converter, it made a little mention that some parameters are not recognized. But it let's you continue. And it finally worked fine. When I converted to .wmv, I had to choose "Audio 9.2 Lossless" for the sound to work properly. The default made a terrible mess of the sound.
    The quality of the conversion is quite good - I have seen worse. I think I will use it in the future.
    I recommend that the developers change this message where it says "Video Compression" to "Video Codec". That would be a lot less confusing.

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

It still does not convert from flv , but still a good converter .

whs

In the meantime I installed the full K-Lite pack from here ( Download K-Lite Codec Pack 4.45 (Full) - FileHippo.com ) and it works beautifully. Just make sure you first throw out all the other Codec packs you may have, including PlayFLV if you have downloaded that (FLv is in K-Lite too).

^ Thats great whs and thanks for posting the soln here. Hope you have seen this, btw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast