Thread: 6 Free Alternatives to Nero

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Default 6 Free Alternatives to Nero

Everyone is aware of Nero, the most wanted burning software. Even I have used Nero for almost two years before jumping to the free alternatives that do the same job for free of cost. The reason behind the jump was not the cost of Nero but its size. As you might have observed, every time Nero releases new version with added features that are useless for most us.

How many of you use all the features of Nero 7 or 8 or 9? That is, do you use the multimedia and backup feature of Nero 9? If your answer is a big “NO” you can use any of the below freeware as an alternative to Nero.

1. Infra Recorder: Probably one of the most used free burning software after CD Burner XP. You can create data, audio CDs easily just like Nero. Infra Recorder also supports dual-layer DVDs. Users can erase discs, burn images, copy discs, burn multisession discs, save audio and data tracks to files using Infra Recorder. Moreover, the installer size is just 3.2MB!!

|Download Here|

2. CDBurnerXP: CDBurnerXP is a good freeware alternative to paid CD and DVD burners. This is the software which made me to jump from Paid Nero. Apart from basic disc burning features this freeware also supports Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. Below is a small list of CDBurnerXP key features:
    * burn all kinds of discs
    * audio-CDs with or without gaps between tracks
    * burn and create ISO files
    * data verification after burning process
    * create bootable discs
    * multi-language interface
    * bin/nrg ? ISO converter, simple cover printing and much more!
    * Operating Systems: Windows 2000/XP/2003 Server/Vista

|Download Here|

3. DeepBurner: There are two versions of DeepBurner program available: Pro and free. I have been using this free burner for the last six months without any hassles. This program has many features that you can’t see in a free burner. To start with, it supports data CDs/DVDs, Audio CDs, build and burn images, overburn function, bootable discs, multisession discs. DeepBurner also supports CD-R / CD-RW / DVD-R / DVD+R / DVD-RW / DVD+RW / DVD-RAM. You can also find a big feature list here.

|Download Here|

4. FinalBurner : Final burner is also one of the free alternatives to bloated Nero. The user interface is simple and is easy-to-use as well.
    Main features:
    Burn Data CD/DVD (CD R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD DL, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.)
    - Autorun menu designer
    - Burn Audio CD (Import *.wav; *.mp3; *.ogg; *.mid; *.wma; *.aac; *.mp4; *.m4a; *.xm; *.mod; *.s3m; *.it; *.mtm; *.mo3 audio files.)
    - Burn Video DVD (Import AVI, DIVX, XVID, MP4, MPG, WMV, ASF, MOV, FLV, etc. Capture from Web cam, TV tuner, DV, etc.)
    - AudioCd Ripper

|Download Here|

5. ImgBurn: Don’t think this tool is just for image burring. ImgBurn is lightweight CD/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray burning software that creates Audio CDs, DVD Videos discs, HD DVD videos discs. The biggest strength of this program is that it supports a wide range is images file formats including BIN, CUE, DI, DVD, GI, IMG, ISO, MDS, NRG and PDI. It also supports Unicode folder/file names, so you shouldn’t run in to any problems if you’re using an international character set.

|Download Here|

6. CDrtfe: CDrtfe is another free burning program for Windows. CDrtfe can burn data discs (CD and DVD), Audio CDs, XCDs, (S) VCDs and DVD-Video discs. For Windows 9x, ME, 2k, XP.

|Download Here|

I have listed the software which I have found a good alternative to Nero. If you have come across any good freeware burner let me know by leaving a comment so that I can include them in the next list.

Actually I wanted to know about the burning software that you are using now.Please let me know which burning software you are using, because I have been hunting for a good burning software for my new Win7
    Last edited by tweakwindows; 7th January 2009 at 18:40.

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

are these programs alright to use for non-win7 users?

^All of them are compatible with Vista Btw,which one you use?

DeborahJ is offline Senior Member

Is CDBurnerXP working with Vista?

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

^ Yes it does.

Didnt know there were so many freeware alternatives to Nero ! Thanks.

Beat the Recession - Freeware Windows Software to replace your shareware programs may interest freeware lovers.

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Nice list there tweakwindows!

I personally use the portable versions of InfraRecorder. Nice and easy

mulrich is offline New Member

I use ImgBurn. It takes a little getting used to for non-image tasks, but it works just as well as Nero.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Infra Recorder user here.

Installed DeepBurner now

wow
    wow is offline New Member

I need a small and simple program jst for burning a "video_ts" map tot dvd.
    Which one of these would be enough for this? Don' t want to install them all 6 to see what they do :-)