• All ready have done so

1 16.67%
  • Not employed as Iam a student/retired/homekeeper

3 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How worried are you about your loosing your job in the downturn

seti is offline Member

Post How worried are you about your loosing your job in the downturn

Each day there seems to be more people loosing their job. So the question is how worried are you about loosing your job.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

I have been out of work for the past 3 years due to an illness so I have seen the recession building up for a while and the worse is yet to come. A few of my friends are already contemplating bankruptcy due to mortgages and loans.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

I'm not certain how to vote in this poll. You see, about 3 weeks ago the various groups of our department were told that there would be a downsizing in the organization -- and in fact in each organization of the company. Unlike the rest of the company, we would have a voluntary program. Those eligible for "voluntary separation" would receive information at noon that day and have 2 weeks to volunteer. If not enough volunteers, the remaining headcount would be involuntary and announced 05 February.

Since I am "retirement eligible", I received the package and was considering it. However, I am now waiting for the "involuntary" notice. The reason is that permission was later received from the head of Human Resources to advise our staff group that it was being eliminated as a functional unit. It was explained that our jobs would be handled by corporate groups with other functions assigned to other members of the department. (For example, I am one of the very few in the company who is not in the corporate group who has developer rights for Lotus Notes databases. I am also the only person who has live access to an organizational intranet site. This responsibility will now have to be absorbed by the World-Wide Corporate group that handles Lotus Notes and the department will have to "pay" to have new databases modified, created or the intranet site changed.)

The separation package is the same for involuntary as it is for voluntary -- just delayed by several months. For me personally, this delay makes a big difference as it gets me almost to the month when I will be able to collect reduced social security. Because I have 42 years with the company, I am eligible for a full year's pay, full pension and, with 6 weeks vacation plus vacation carry-over, 11 weeks vacation pay. There are other benefits provided as well.

So, it isn't that I can vote that I am not worried, nor have I been officially impacted yet, but I am anticipating that I will be losing my job and will then be able to say I am a retired Systems Analyst (a catch-all title for someone who provides a variety of specialize support functions in the Legal Department.)

After the news today, although I know it will be difficult when I do walk out the door for the last time, I think it is just as well. Kodak posts loss, plans up to 4,500 job cuts - Earnings- msnbc.com
    Last edited by Corrine; 30th January 2009 at 01:53.

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

ha..i already got laid off. was in landscaping business. well, now i have time to be online.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If I read the trend from this very small sample poll right, most of us don't work in the first place. I guess all those GDP producing people don't have time to linger around a forum - LOL.

i hope i dont go into the welfare system.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

This is a question worrying folks from all over the world.

Fortunately, I run my own business, so I dont have to worry about this; but I do say that business is down generally...

yes..many businesses..mostly chain stores have closed. our clients began to dwindle and thats how everyone was let go

skidmark is offline Windows Enthusiast

I work in the masonry construction bizz until I get my degree in October. Right now I'm enjoying a couple weeks off due weather which is normal for this time of year. So not really seeing any effects of recession here.

so life in america's heartland is doing ok eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast