Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCIAM : Microsoft Vista voted tech world's top "Fiasco"

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Talking SCIAM : Microsoft Vista voted tech world's top "Fiasco"

For whatever its worth, here is a read from SCIAM:

Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system gets the prize for being the most overhyped, underperforming information and communication technology (ICT) project. Windows Vista garnered 5,222 of 6,043 votes entered via the Web to snag top honors in the first-ever Fiasco Awards announced in Barcelona, Spain, today, beating out other contenders, including Google's Lively virtual world, the One Laptop per Child computer (developed by the Nicholas Negroponte-chaired One Laptop Per Child Association, Inc.) and Second Life. Second prize went to SAGA, the oft-malfunctioning administration and academic management system developed by Spain's Catalan Education Department for public school teachers in Catalonia.
    The Fiasco Awards are an initiative of a group of people linked to the information and communication technologies sector. The jury from amongst them, has chosen nine finalists: Google Lively; Windows Vista; Second life; Autonomix, the Free Software packs distributed by Public Administrations; Maresme Digital; Mobuzz.tv; DAB, the digital radio; and SAGA, the Administration and Academic anagement System of the Catalan Government

Now I wonder who were the 5,222 of 6,043 voters ? A select class or was it just open to public? Best I could learn from the website was : "From January 27, 2009 anyone , freely and following his/her own criteria, will be able to cast a single vote..."

Now isn't 5000 too small a sample to be representative of the entire ... err world ?

Vista was not what it was expected to be, no denying that !

But Vista-slapping is the (old) 'new thing' now. Doesnt get the eyeballs it once got. But some still consider whacking Vista a surefire way to show that you are 'with it' & chic.

seti is offline Member

You know dinosaurs voted once honestly they did. They voted if a metorite was to hit the earth how many of them would survive. 5000 said they would and look they were right they survived as fossiles. I wonder what happend to the rest of them. I know they still vote in polls that suggest vista is rubbish

mariotrz is offline Beginner

Smile SCIAM : Microsoft Vista voted tech world's top "Fiasco" - REALLY?

My worthless opinion : I was always a DOS person! I've started with Personal Computers for good on 1979. I've "resisted" several years to start with Windows.

The first one I've seen was around 1986.
    The first one I've worked with was around 1990.
    The first one I've really enjoyed using was Vista.
    I'm sure that people that complain were using old Pentium III with 256 or 512 Kb memory.
    They deserved it!!!

Mario

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I also wonder how many people who voted have actually used it.

I for one was among the millions of people who had never used Vista who thought it was junk.

Then my son in-law gave me a copy of it and after doing a (CLEAN INSTALL) my first impressions were good. I thought to myself "what is all the griping about?"

I even wrote on the MS Vista Support forum asking "Am I the only person alive who likes Vista?'

From the responses I got, I have formed the opinion that most complainants come from people who have never used it or have screwed something up themselves and would have issues no matter what OS they use.

Just My Opinion!!!!

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

the guys who vote are surely some type of psychos......even i am wondering how they nominate the windows vista for this category??
    windows vista is the coolest OS ever developed.......so many facilities, intelligence, ease of use and a lot....
    the Guys who voted out are surely works on a piece of Junk.....not on Pc's, as Vista was developed to run on Computers with mentally fit operator ...

Pwrgrid is offline New Member

Default Windows Vista

I had waited awhile to upgrade my XP Media Center to Vista because of all the stories and complaints bashing Vista. Awhile back I finally upgraded and have never looked back. Although XP was nice, I love Vista alot better. And as for the UAC complaints, I actually don't mind that, just another layer of protection and lets me know what is going on.

I would like to try Windows 7, but trying to stay away from beta's or RC's. I know I could use a virtual environment to test, but not sure if I want to deal with that. Plus, from what I have seen so far, not a real compelling reason to jump to windows 7 yet, unless you just like bragging about being on the edge, lol.

leofelix is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by roraniel View Post
    I also wonder how many people who voted have actually used it.

[CUT]

Just My Opinion!!!!
    This is my point of view too,
    I like Vista and I think these people never used Vista before.

They also made a big mistake: they came from Spain and they do not know that Fiasco is in italian word?
    It's very strange
    Fiasco is a kind of bottle for wine and is also synonym of failure too .. here is an example

I suppose they drink too much
    Last edited by leofelix; 10th March 2009 at 02:08.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Maybe that is why I like Vista. I love Italian Wine!!!!!!

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Vista is not that bad for me ... but windows 7 is a jsut a improvement so y hate vista...

leofelix is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by roraniel View Post
    Maybe that is why I like Vista. I love Italian Wine!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast