View Poll Results: Do you think Firefox3 is more secure than IE8?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 35.00%
  • No

9 45.00%
  • Don't know

4 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Firefox really the Most Secure Web Browser?

temp acct is offline New Member

without reading every comment, all i can say is i do beleive FF is secure...havent had much major security defects as a result of using FF.. but as one said, not all browsers are secure. but hands down, IE is the most insecure of all browsers.. -nuff said.

Enigma is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by temp acct View Post
    without reading every comment, all i can say is i do beleive FF is secure
    Great.

No doubt, IE8 is more secure than IE7 or IE6 But don't compare it with Firefox.

Kidding..

scouser73 is offline New Member

Is there any reason why the Opera browser isn't mentioned? I think that Firefox is more secure than IE8 but that's due to my personal preference.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

I would suggest that the security of the browser depends upon the surfing activity of the person at the keyboard. But that may not be the case. Although this poll is between IE & FF, it warrants noting that Safari on a MacBook was the first browser taken down at CamSecWest. This was followed by IE and lastly Firefox.

Pwn2Own Trifecta: Safari/MacBook, IE8 and Firefox

As to which browser is more secure, according to Ryan Naraine's follow-up interview with Charlie Miller (Questions for Pwn2Own hacker Charlie Miller), it is Firefox:

For all the browsers on operating systems, the hardest target is Firefox on Windows.
    Note that the scenarios for the PWN2OWN competitions were conducted on a Vaio computer using Windows 7.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Update on the IE8 exploit from TippingPoint's DVLabs, Pwn2Own Day 2

The big news of the day is that the MSRC (Microsoft Security Response Center) woke me up before my alarm went off this morning to let me know that they had reproduced and validated IE8 vulnerability discovered by the mysterious Nils. Of course, we can't tell you anything more than that- stay tuned for more information once Microsoft releases an update for it! I continue to be impressed by the dedication of the MSRC team- and was shocked to get the news of verification in less than 12 hours- considering the entire IE team was most likely at the MIX 2009 con down in Vegas for the official launch of IE8!

For those not keeping score, the confirmation of the IE8 vulnerability on the released bits (available just this morning!) marks the first official vulnerability in IE8!

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    Update on the IE8 exploit from TippingPoint's DVLabs, Pwn2Own Day 2
    I read this earlier and thought wow! but it will keep people on their toes and just goes to prove that when you think you are secure, you are not as secure as you think you are. In truth the only not be insecure on line is not to go online

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Default Chrome only browser left standing after day one of Pwn2Own

During a contest at the CanSecWest event, security researchers competed to exploit vulnerabilities in web browsers. Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer were all successfully compromised, but Chrome was able to withstand the first day of the competition.

Read More Here: Chrome only browser left standing after day one of Pwn2Own - Ars Technica

skypilot is offline New Member

who cares! Nothing in this discussion has presented any hard examples. It is only based upon personal preference and hearsay.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Pardon my directness, but did you read the article?

My post was not about any personal preference or hearsay. I was passing along what I felt to be worth while information.

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
    who cares! Nothing in this discussion has presented any hard examples. It is only based upon personal preference and hearsay.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

I am really confused with so many reviews and different results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12