Thread: They know your darkest secrets...and they tell anyone

seti is offline Member

Exclamation They know your darkest secrets...and they tell anyone

I came across this article today and I think that everyone here should read this as it is frightening! The information here speaks for itself. The article is called;
    People search engines: the newest web privacy threat

the link for the article is: People search engines: the newest web privacy threat News - PC Advisor

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Intersting read seti ...

leofelix is offline Member

But I have no secrets

Jokes apart, really interesting news seti

Corrine is offline Gold Member

There have been a lot of articles published about information shared on social network sites, particularly MySpace and Facebook. Parents need to be mindful about the information their children are sharing on these sites as it could jeopardize acceptance to their first choice college or result in the loss of a job opportunity later.

Here are a few examples of warning articles:

CollegeGrad.com Press - MySpace Is Public Space When It Comes To Job Search
    Job Search Tip: Too Much Information on your Social Networks : Medical Sales Recruiter - Tips & Quips
    With more employers using MySpace and Facebook for background checks, legal experts advice caution - 02/23/09

As far as the information the "people search" sites can provide, it is all the more reason to be sensitive to the information that you share in public.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

yeah the threat is going to increase, the information at the servers of the search engines updates every second, don't know what they get and collect, which is not good about you.... so do not open your personal details over any website...

zen67 is offline Senior Member

I think that's a fact.

I mean our contemporary world is full of this things... Our mobiles even if closed are trakable, atm machines, big stores with fidelity cards, and obviously the world wide web.... echelon isn't a chimera (in florence there's a strange big house with garden and its full of antennas over the roof and in the garden... people say there's one of the italian point of echelon..

surely the best way to share information (reserved or not) is joining some places like facebook or some other nice sites...

Corrine is offline Gold Member

@Seti. I think Donna has been following you! Donna's take, posted today:

Are you a user of below networks?
    43 Things
    Amazon
    Bebo
    Blogger
    Buzznet
    dailymotion
    deviantART
    Digg
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Flickr Group
    Flixster
    Fotolog
    Friendster
    Goodreads
    Hi5
    iLike
    imeem
    Last.fm
    LinkedIn
    LiveJournal
    Multiply
    MySpace
    Netlog
    Pandora
    PhotoBucket
    Picasa
    PictureTrail
    Slide
    Stumbleupon
    Twitter
    Upcoming
    Veoh
    Vox
    Web Results
    WebShots
    Windows Live Spaces
    Wretch
    Xanga
    Yelp

If so, you might want to login to your account and make sure the shared items in the World Wide Web (www) is what you want to share. Or check the EULA (use EULAlyzer, if you're lazy to read long EULAs!) of the above services and see, if you've agree to their terms that they can share more than what you actually allow.

You hear a lot of terms bounced around when you talk about this growing breed of search engines. Some services like to be called 'social search' utilities, while others prefer the phrase 'people search'. Many boast of their ability to delve through the 'Deep Web' that even Google doesn't touch.

"Even though most people think the size of the web is basically the Google crawl index, there's actually a lot of information that Google doesn't crawl," says Harrison Tang, founder and CEO of Spokeo - which, taking a mash-up approach to its identification, describes itself as a 'social people search engine' service.

Spokeo, like its competitors Pipl and CVGadget, is designed to let you dig up information on friends, foes, and anyone in between. Spokeo goes a step farther than many of the other services, though, by importing your entire email address book.

People search engines: the newest web privacy threat News - PC Advisor

I remember that even messengers can import your entire address book: Yahoo! Messenger, Windows Live Messenger will try to include the email address from your Address Book or Contact book in the list of IM buddies.

seti is offline Member

I wrote to her to ask for her take on it and as she always does she got more information amd gave me some credit of COU