Thread: French police: "we saved millions of euros by adopting Ubuntu"

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Default French police: "we saved millions of euros by adopting Ubuntu"

So this is interesting. I wonder if there any compatibility issues with other law enforcement and security agencies like Interpol, FBI, SOCA, ect.

Excerpt from article:

France's Gendarmerie Nationale, the country's national police force, says it has saved millions of dollars by migrating its desktop software infrastructure away from Microsoft Windows and replacing it with the Ubuntu Linux distribution.

The Gendarmerie began its transition to open source software in 2005 when it replaced Microsoft Office with OpenOffice.org across the entire organization. It gradually adopted other open source software applications, including Firefox and Thunderbird. After the launch of Windows Vista in 2006, it decided to phase out Windows and incrementally migrate to Ubuntu.

Read more here: French police: we saved millions of euros by adopting Ubuntu - Ars Technica

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

i think that the french government, especially mentioned the police department fedup of getting the work done easily and with quality, soon they'll feel this flaw and will get back to Windows....
    Last edited by nitinagarwal1988; 17th March 2009 at 17:49.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Well said, nitinagarwal1988!

rkonit is offline Gold Member

I can't understand, Why (some) people don't like Windows or Microsoft products. It seems they want to suffer and making their computing experience harder.

seti is offline Member

These stories keep coming up with these claims, but what you don't ever here is the cost in retraining, costs of compatability issues and I am sure that we could all think of others. If you add these into the equation then I wonder if there has been any real saving at all

scouser73 is offline New Member

I used to run Ubuntu solely on my pc, and it could compete with windows, plus there was no viruses "in the wild" that affected the system. It is in excellent operating system, the reason I have moved back to using Windows is that I need Microsoft Office for a course I'm doing, I'm not knocking windows, and I've enjoyed getting back to the user interface of Windows, especially Vista which as a first time user I'm finding great.