Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac Threat Alert : Know anyone that's a Mac User?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Red face Mac Threat Alert : Know anyone that's a Mac User?

Received following mail from PC Tools.

Know anyone that's a Mac User?

Then let them know that malware researchers have discovered what appears to be the first Mac OSX botnet, aka MacBot or iBotnet and its receiving a substantial amount of industry and media interest.

Early estimates suggest that thousands of people have unknowingly downloaded the infected files. Don't let yourself be one of them...

In a nutshell the botnet is launching a number of malware variants inside pirated copies of popular Mac based software in order to take control of the infected Mac machine.

First and foremost make sure that you and your fellow Mac users, exercise caution, have Mac specific free antivirus software iAntiVirus is up to date. It's also vital that you enable and install the latest Mac security updates.

The Swiftman is offline Beginner

And I thought that Macs didn't get viruses
    ( Please note: I am not a Mac user)

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

I thought foul and abusive language was frowned upon in this forum.

(another Non M*c user)

hmac is offline New Member

Cool There's no virus for a MAC

That's right my little PC users. Mac's don't get a virus. The Botnet that is causing all the interest is in fact a Trojan and you have be pretty daft to install it and then again you can only install it if you are in the habit of downloading pirate software - a PC user thing normally.

Unlike PC's which advertise themselves on the net and enjoy given access priviledges to anyone who might pretend to be a Microsoft engineer, a Mac doesn't go looking for trouble. When trouble finds it and is downloaded the Mac user is asked to varify the download and allow the files to be installed on the computer. At this point in time only an idiot would confirm this action by typing their password. After all, pirate software doesn't usually self install.

Sorry to spoil your fun, but you were right first time. Mac's don't get viruses

Hmac. A Mac user for 15 years.

P.S. just out of interest, how do you PC users cope with having to update all you're drivers and sometimes even your hardware everytime Microsoft have to fix a glitch in their progamming which really should have been picked up before the release date, but then was missed because Microsoft were cutting corners so that they could release a little quicker than Apple? It would drive me insane.

P.P.S Have either of you ever used a Mac?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Glad to hear your side of the story hmac.

Perhaps you'd also like to present your views to PCTools who sent out the mailer.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Saying that a mac is completely secure is a bit strange. I myself had a mac book air for 3 months from work and the first thing I noticed was the anti-virus software pre-installed.

Now if a mac cant get a virus why in the world would apple go to the trouble of developing an Anti-virus in the first place????

The reason I only had it for 3 months is because I am a Microsoft fan and I asked for a notebook instead.

Cool

Glad to. What might PCTools have to gain from hyping the situation. Well, maybe they hope lots of Mac users will buy their Anti Virus software.

The Mac isn't immune from getting Viruses. But to date there haven't been any. Over recent years there have been scares but these have always been Trojan's that have to be downloaded and installed. I'm sure that one day someone will crack it and develop a virus that affects the Mac.

I wasn't aware that Apple had developed Anti Virus software, it certainly isn't something that ships with an apple and I've never seen it offered on the Apple website. Are you sure Apple have developed the software? Or did your company buy the macbook Air from third party dealer who also sold the anti virus software as an add on and made a few quid more.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

I apologize the anti virus I was referring too was an add-on to the pre-installed software and nothing to do with apple. Out of curiosity do you use a Microsoft OS hmac?

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

i've never used a Mac .......i am using windows from the last 11years and will use it till microsoft developes its last version.....
    Last edited by nitinagarwal1988; 20th April 2009 at 20:11.

Cool

I've been using Apples for at least 15 years both in my office and also at home. Because of compatbility issues at the office we have one Dell machine so that we can talk to our bank, the rest of the machines are all Mac.

Whenever I use a Windows based system I'm confused by it. It's messy and doesn't seem to follow any logic, or if there is a logic it's wrapped up in needless cleverness and why oh why is it necessary to have just so many visable files which you can't move and shouldn't touch. I've a friend that is IT consultant and he's forever trying to explain that PC's can be tweaked and operating systems changed so that you can optomise them for their tasks. I think this is the key to why so many businesses have PC's. Techy's like the fiddly stuff and PC's offer hours of fiddling. So when a business wants to upgrade it's systems the Techy guys all recommend new PC's. They'd all be out of work if the business bought Macs. I've used Macs for 15 or so years and we've had a quite a few and I've never had to pay anyone to come in and train my staff on how to use them. Five or ten minutes explaining the basics and then every now and again answering a question if they've got stuck. When we upgraded to OSX we just loaded the system and everyone said, "Oh that's nice" and then got on with their work.

At the end of the day Macs and PC's are just computers, once you've loaded your app and begin working they do the same thing. But in my opinion Macs just seem to do it in a nicer way. And don't forget, all those programs that are now the industry standard, like MS Office were developed for the Mac. It was only when Microsoft gave MSDOS a GUI and called it Windows that it was possible for them to be used on PC. In recent years programs like Final Cut Pro have revolutionised film and TV and surely everyone has iTunes.

Best of all, Mac's have a much better way of dealing with Viruses and to use a Mac you don't need to slow the system down by loading Anti Virus and spyware software. You can just get it out the box, plug it in and off you go.

Hmac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast