Thread: Windows 7 RC Observations & Screenshots

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Windows 7 RC Observations & Screenshots

The observations will be mostly on all the changes / improvements since the beta build and onwards. I don't remember which feature / change took place in which build for most of them though

Installation - I installed via Pen Drive. The time from the start of the setup to the first login & desktop display was a flat 15 minutes! Simply superb.

Observations -
    * New IE JumpList tasks - New Tab & InPrivate. Also have an icon now, in previous builds, they did not have an icon.

* New Icon for the Games Explorer and Saved Games folder in the User's folder.

* Infact, since the beta, quite a lot of applications and folders have received an Icon makeover. Paint, Wordpad, Calculator, i think even Media Player & Sticky Notes. Windows DVD Maker has a new icon too. Even the Pictures, Music folder icons on the start menu look better now.

* Features Updates in the Windows Updates has changed to "Software Notifications - for new Microsoft Software". Windows Live Essentials, Silverlight etc. are to be pushed through this channel i presume.

* New themes with slideshow for the wallpapers have been added since the beta.

* The Tab Crash recovery / management in IE has received some touch ups and has a nice and simple prompt for the user now. Just saw it once while flash was installing and the other tabs got stuck for sometime.

* Installed Norton AntiVirus Gamers Edition. No problems till now. Installs and Runs fine, as if its not even there.

* The graphics driver for Nvidia were installed in the setup itself. Gave me a WEI score of 3.2 for the graphics.

Screenshots -

There is a stark difference between the Superbar with Small icons and Large icons. After using the small icons bar, i can't even look at the large icons bar! The time display inspite of being simple, looks good.

New jumplist tasks for IE

Jumplist for Control Panel with Recently used applets

Device Driver installation with download details.

An updated Program Compatibility Wizard prompt after you exit an application which Windows thinks must have had compatibility problems.

The new prompt for tabs which don't respond.

Various new Sound schemes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anything anyone wants to know?

pyu.agrawal is offline Senior Member

Did u try Nokia PC Suite?. I had tried installing PC suite on Win 7 beta, but it failed

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Nice work there, alsiladka !

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyu.agrawal View Post
    Did u try Nokia PC Suite?. I had tried installing PC suite on Win 7 beta, but it failed
    Which Nokia PC Suite are your trying to install? The latest version, 7.1 installs fine for me. The previous versions would give a OS not supported error.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by pyu.agrawal View Post
    pyu, try the newer build of the PC suite or if you want to use that old one, then install it in compatibility mode of windows vista, then it will work fine on W7....

iMav is offline Gold Member

Not sure whether pre-RC had it, but WMP has a play all in the jump list.

leofelix is offline Member

alsiladka you made a great work
    thank you