DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Why Windows 7 should have been called Windows Vista RELOADED!

soumya is offline Windows Enthusiast

Cool Why Windows 7 should have been called Windows Vista RELOADED!

Windows 7 has become one of the most hyped and anticipated Windows release ever. People are going gaga over it's performance and compatibility. The buzz is huge and Windows 7 can become one of the most successful operating systems of all time. But should it be called Windows 7? I don't think so! Windows 7 to me is only a polished and refreshed version of Windows Vista. What Microsoft has done is, taken into account the problems associated with Vista and eliminated them in this latest release. BUT, have they added anything new which is significant? Let's find out.

Windows Vista RTM'ed in November, 2006 and saw a retail release on January 2007. People had to wait about 5 years for this new version of Windows. Most people felt that the wait was not worthwhile. Vista brought a lot of compatibility problems, was a resource hog and for many people, it was not worth a upgrade from XP. Most of the hardware at that period was not powerful enough to run Windows Vista smoothly. People had to upgrade their hardware to be able to run it and this put many people off from making a switch to Vista. Those who did, faced a lot of compatibility problems. All in all, Windows Vista was a nightmare to many. But not to me! I thought that Windows Vista was a necessary evil.

Windows Vista brought with it a wealth of new features!

1) Windows Aero

This was truly a revolution as far as the Windows GUI goes. Translucent borders, live taskbar thumbnails, Flip3D, smooth animations were brought about by Aero and it was the prettiest Windows GUI so far. Windows 7 also uses Aero with some little tweaks here and there like the Aero Peek, Shake and Snap etc, but mostly it feels like the GUI of Vista.

2) Instant Search

This was one of the major changes which Vista brought about, Instant Search and it's really fast! The search boxes are available virtually everywhere in Windows Vista. You just have to type in some keywords and it will instantly search for the file, application etc and the results show up instantly. It's really cool. Windows 7's search tool is basically the same but with an added option of searching from external database sources, and is dubbed as the federated search.

More @ FEEL WINDOWS

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Maybe. But the Vista brand had taken a beating, and that necessitated an image change too.

It would have saved me a new/domain change exercise, btw

anandn_mvp is offline Microsoft MVP

If Win 7 should be named as you mentioned then each subsequent version should be named as such. I don't think Microsoft will agree as they depend upon names for marketing.

I feel that there will be some secret related to "7" which will be disclosed when the final version is released.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by anandn_mvp View Post

I feel that there will be some secret related to "7" which will be disclosed when the final version is released.
    There is NO secret. It is named as Windows 7 simply because it is the 7th major release of Windows

seti is offline Member

Personally I do not really care what it is called, as long as it works

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Seven is cooll...I am loving it ...

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Windows Vista SP2 is far better in stability.

Windows 7 will be the most popular and better in it's performance and compatibility as like Windows XP due to its Version 6.1 in context of Windows Vista. That's similar Windows XP (Version 5.1) and Windows 2000 (5.0)