Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloading IE8 will help feed hungry Americans

soumya is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thumbs up Downloading IE8 will help feed hungry Americans

Microsoft has announced that for every completed download of Internet Explorer 8, they will donate the financial equivalent of eight meals to the Feeding America network.

The campaign is called "Browser for the Better," and runs from June 10 and August 8. Only IE8 downloads from the specific "Browser for the Better" website will count. Microsoft will be donating $1.15 (their reported financial equivalent of eight meals) per download, to a maximum of $1,000,000.

Feeding America is the leading domestic hunger-relief charity in the U.S and provides services for more than 25 million low-income individuals. They distribute 2 billion pounds of donated food per year.

The campaign kicked off on Wednesday in New York and San Francisco with artists on hand constructing the Empire State Building and Golden Gate Bridge with food cans.

Actor Dean Cain is also involved in the campaign starring in a series of viral videos directed by Bobcat Goldthwait. These videos can be found on the "Browser for the Better" website, accessible by the panel on the right side labeled "F.O.M.S: Fear Of Missing Something". The videos are shorts which tout the features of IE8 and how it can solve many web-related maladies.

neowin

iMav is offline Gold Member

It's kinda old news now lol

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

What a nice offer, although just a standard donation would be more satisfying from my point of view. Most people will get IE8 as an automatic update so IMO its a bit of a cop out on Microsoft's side.

The only way I could see this as beneficial would be for people with IE8 already to remove the update and re-install it using the link.

Come on Microsoft we all know you can do more than this, just hand over 10% of the profits you make on Windows 7 and make everyone happy

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    What a nice offer, although just a standard donation would be more satisfying from my point of view. Most people will get IE8 as an automatic update so IMO its a bit of a cop out on Microsoft's side.

The only way I could see this as beneficial would be for people with IE8 already to remove the update and re-install it using the link.

Come on Microsoft we all know you can do more than this, just hand over 10% of the profits you make on Windows 7 and make everyone happy
    err... you're missing a HUGE point here. The attempt is to generate an awareness among users who're still on XP/Vista but don't usually upgrade. Yes there is a huge population of that. People still are on IE6. Not everyone visits internet forums and is as tech-savvy as u and me, its to create an awareness among those users.

Also, the campaign is to try & get a lot of non-IE users to download & try it out.

And why would someone have to uninstall & re-install? It's a simple download link. The download has no pre-requisites of you not having IE8 already installed.

Sorry, I was just saying that Microsoft could do much better than promoting their software on the back of those who are less fortunate than others.

I ramble sometimes when I see large, wealthy company's saying they are trying to help less fortunate people by helping themselves.

Its not just Microsoft loads of company's are doing it and I feel that they all should just give donations to those people who need it. Who needs a 16 bedroom house in Spain for a summer break with 5 Cars parked in the drive way???
    Last edited by johnny.rotton; 15th June 2009 at 18:43.

Sorry, I was just saying that Microsoft could do much better than promoting their software on the back of those who are less fortunate than others.

I ramble sometimes when I see large, wealthy company's saying they are trying to help less fortunate people by helping themselves.

Its not just Microsoft loads of company's are doing it and I feel that they all should just give donations to those people who need it. Who needs a 16 bedroom house in Spain for a summer break with 5 Cars parked in the drive way???
    I wouldn't say that about Microsoft honestly, a company whose founder is also part of a huge philanthrophic movement. This isn't the first time MSFT has started something like this. The i'm campaign on Live or Dreamspark, they're all pretty much the same. Microsoft is using it's massive user base to:

a) help itself retain the users
    b) get more users
    c) help the needy

I'd cut MSFT some slack.

iMav I personally am a huge fan of Microsoft and all it does but Its all my opinion my friend and mine alone. I am starting to think maybe I should keep my opinions to myself and just not bother commenting anymore.

I did also say its not just Microsoft, every large company jump on the PR wagon and it annoys me.

iMav I personally am a huge fan of Microsoft and all it does but Its all my opinion my friend and mine alone. I am starting to think maybe I should keep my opinions to myself and just not bother commenting anymore.

I did also say its not just Microsoft, every large company jump on the PR wagon and it annoys me.
    Well, I too have an opinion & prolly a right to express it as well. Don't I?

Well, I too have an opinion & prolly a right to express it as well. Don't I?
    Yes you do iMav, but why are you flaming me for when I didn't even suggest you didn't?

I'm not flaming anyone. I'm just giving my opinion to your post. If you're gonna give you're opinion, others can reply to that, can't they? If they don't agree to you that doesn't necessarily mean you should stop commenting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast