DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Introduces the Chrome OS

ravi_9793 is offline Senior Member

Default Google Introduces the Chrome OS

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010. Because we're already talking to partners about the project, and we'll soon be working with the open source community, we wanted to share our vision now so everyone understands what we are trying to achieve.

Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips and we are working with multiple OEMs to bring a number of netbooks to market next year. The software architecture is simple Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel. For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies. And of course, these apps will run not only on Google Chrome OS, but on any standards-based browser on Windows, Mac and Linux thereby giving developers the largest user base of any platform.
    Official Google Blog: Introducing the Google Chrome OS

seti is offline Member

I've been reading quite a bit on this today and was going to post on it. from what I understand it wont be ready until 2010, by which time 7 will have been well established and while it is making a lot of promises, as we all know that the reality of all Operating systems is that they depend upon applications. MS are well aware of this and I think that Google will only be comptition for the Linux OS not Windows. I can also foretell, that no matter what their promisies as we all know if there is an OS there is a security venerability that someone will find sooner or later.

baldwin is offline New Member

Google's Chrome OS will not be much of a threat to windows if the OS is not able to manage hardware.Google will require years to build up the library of device drivers to really take over microsoft. As per Google's view , all you require to see is a a browser window to look through, but in reality an OS must manage hardware as well.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Google's Chrome OS will not be much of a threat to windows if the OS is not able to manage hardware.Google will require years to build up the library of device drivers to really take over microsoft. As per Google's view , all you require to see is a a browser window to look through, but in reality an OS must manage hardware as well.
    Agreed. It takes years of hard work to deliver an OS like Windows.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Although some of the statements they make are pretty blue-eyed, it may have a niche for the netbooks that are solely used for mail and web browsing. Some device support they may pick up from Linux. But as soon as they go into a more complex environment like Open Office, Video processing and real applications like CAD, etc., they would be just as "heavy" as e.g Ubuntu. But that may not be their target audience. In any case, it is nice to get further choices.

seti is offline Member

I agree there must be choices for the consumer and perhaps one day some one will really make the challenge to Windows, after all \Windows challenged what went before.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Well what all I agree is Microsoft Rules n I luv it

but as far as threat is concerned there is always a threat, you know it was difficult for microsoft to build OS from DOS to 7 in the sense they were the first, but for google it will not be the case. Also what I feel is 2 things sells OS - GUI n Security. We will see what Google will focus more( as per news LINUX core in CHROME OS)

But till Google will launch its OS I m sure Microsoft is already working on Service packs for 7, it wud be a tough competeition b/w both the IT Giants

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Well said Ritesh ! This kind of rivalry really encourage new possiblities in computing.

Jal
    Jal is offline Windows Enthusiast

Looking at the products of Google, I am not so sure if Google would ever surpass the GUI standards set by Microsoft. And maybe if it does then by the time MS would have set a dozen more milestones. When it comes to security, Google may indirectly give rise to increased number of threats to the opensource world. And as rightly said by baldwin, managing hardware is yet another hell of a job. Hope the God of the Internet knows wat he is about to face.
    Last edited by Jal; 16th October 2009 at 00:57.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Jal View Post
    Looking at the products of Google, I am not so sure if Google would ever surpass the GUI standards set by Microsoft.
    Totally agree with that.........as we have seen Microsoft's and Google's product both web and desktop application and none of Google's product is at par with Microsoft's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jal View Post
    When it comes to security, Google may indirectly give rise to increased number of threats to the opensource world. And as rightly said by baldwin, managing hardware is yet another hell of a job. Hope the God of the Internet knows wat he is about to face.
    Disagree ...............
    Giving rise to threats.............you should have said making the OS more secure and repellent to viruses and threats . Also hardware is not a problem as there are lot of API to help them Dll's - All you wanna know about | Tips n Tricks |

But one thing is for sure We the User are about to get a lot of Benifit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast