DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The reason why Microsoft charges so much for Windows 7

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Default The reason why Microsoft charges so much for Windows 7

Thanks to a friend I recived an e-mail this morning telling me that the price is already going up For Windows 7 pre-order.

I posted a comment not to long ago that Amazon was charging less than 50 for the pre-order now that price has gone up to 69.93.

Why I hear you ask well this picture may explain why.

Pirated software is becoming a huge problem for people who want to buy legitimate software so my view is simple... Pay for the further improvement of the software.

Boycott The Pirates!!!

JR
    Last edited by johnny.rotton; 28th July 2009 at 11:03.

Azazel is offline New Member

I have to disagree.
    They're charging so much,because they can.
    Corporations are inherrently greedy.

seti is offline Member

I disagree that the corporations are greedy, because they are not when you take into account all the overheads, the development costs etc. I have not truck with pirates who are thevies and should be prosecuted all the time and everytime. I would not ever sanction priate copies nor would I ever knowingly buy one. Personally I think they are the scum of the earth. I shall pay the price that is asked and willingly do so, to support the workers and their jobs and hope that everyone here will do the same.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

^ well put seti. Azazel you must realize that when you go to the shops to buy any product you are also paying a mark up on insurance due to shop lifters. The same applies to pirated material. Companies know they are going to lose money due to it , so up goes the price
    on that too.

davehc is offline Beginner

And give credit where it is due. Microsoft have, whatever your views on previous efforts, produced something which is useable and good. They have to live with this for two or three years, in the hope that their next effort will also appeal.
    I also support the views above on pirating. The world has had ample time to assess whether Windows 7 is worth it. If you think Yes - then buy it and support Microsoft on their next (hopefully cheaper) adventure.

Jaehend is offline New Member

All good points but one thing has been left unsaid. That is that while corporations may "have" to up their pricing due to shoplifting/pirating and the cost of loss prevention insurance related to such crimes they also take advantage of it. What I mean is that they raise a price due to "estimated" loss and after the quarter or year is up and they fall below their estimate do they lower they price to benefit the honest consumer? Hell no they don't, in fact they generally raise the price even higher sighting that the lower loss means that there is going to be a bigger hit later and that the would be thieves are either having difficulty in completing their theft or are otherwise engaged in stealing something else. I have worked for a couple different corporations (including Walmart and Toys R Us) whom believe in this idealism and figure if the consumer is stupid enough to pay a higher price under the guise that it is for "insurance" they won't mind paying a bit more so we (the corp.) can have our new cars and such, and they tell you it is a hike in their insurance premiums which it isn't. Agree or disagree I have been personally witness to some of the correspondence from the corporate offices to their chains detailing such matters. In all honesty though, for the man hours and such put into developing an OS 69.93 is nothing compared to what we would be paying if we were actually charged what we should be on an individual basis for the work put into the development so I for one actually applaud Microsoft.

seti is offline Member

Well said Jaehend. Yes we know things could be cheaper, but as you point out for all the work they put in really I do not think it is too much to pay.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

IMO prices are valid and acceptable in comparison to Windows Vista and Windows XP.
    Think professional, how they put hard work to give us such OS that make computing experience easier.

If you disagree with my statement....why don't people make pirated copies of Linux?
    Its not limited to Microsoft only. All Software Enterprises are working hard.

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Cool

I am going to try to put my two cents into this sensitive thread , some may agree but probably most won't but it's my opinion ......

They're charging so much,because they can.
    This I agree with wholeheartedly .

Do I agree with downloading a clean pirated copy of software whatever it may be ? Yes I do , there are some that cannot afford the price tag for what Microsoft charges for their operating systems , well you may ask .... why not download free or less expensive operating system ? My asnswer would be because Windows is the standard , I am sure if all software was made to play well with every single operating system that would work but Microsoft has made sure that will not happen . Others want to "try before they buy" , who wants to shell out all that money for something your not going to be happy with , hell they even let you test drive cars before you buy them .

Don't get me wrong , if you can afford the price tag then buy the software , if you want to try before you buy then getting a "clean" pirated copy does not hurt anything because your going to buy it if you like it anyway , if you don't your going to trash it ...... right ?

The way the economy is today It would be safe to say there will be an awful lot of cracked versions of 7 going around , more than the norm , unless Microsoft lowers the price tag to a very affordable level and we all know that is not going to happen .

BTW ...... My copy of Vista is bought , paid for and legal ...... for those who were thinking otherwise and I will not buy my copy of 7 untill the next OS is due to be released because 1.) ALL the bugs will have been worked out and 2.) It'll be dirt cheap.
    Last edited by HappyAndyK; 31st July 2009 at 18:00. Reason: Left out a line . Edited by HappyAndyK : Personal references delete

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Well in my opinion MS is charging right amount of price for W7. because no one can see, that how many billions on dollars are spending like water by MS on R&D work, then various types taxes and other duties, then charaties, then Advertisements and Promotions, then employee salaries, then production and packaging expenses, then transportation, customer support, retail outlets and various custom duties in countries and hundreds of various expenses incurred. so, after paying all these expenses a product will be able to available at market....

now think of yourself, does MS is charging a lot ?

if you are not able to afford the cost, then there are lots of promotionals and other benefits programmes are run by MS. Join them and show your guts there and get your genuine copies of softwares at no cost.......but if you are nothing.....then you may sure chose the method you like.

by doing piracy, you are not only doing loss of yourself but you are letting World's economy downwards also.....piracy is like Stealing and it is a crime.

be genuine as much as you can. if you do so, then you are contributing to world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast