DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: If it wasn’t for Vista, Windows 7 would not exist.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thumbs up If it wasn’t for Vista, Windows 7 would not exist.

Here is a nice read from an MVP collegue GXSaurav. Full read @ his blog http://gxsaurav.com/windows-7-how-mi...ith-vista.html

Windows XP was using Windows NT technology when it was released but to move Windows in 21st century & to make a good foundation for future version of Windows, Microsoft needed a new technology, new architecture for Windows while still maintaining backward compatibility with Windows XP-era applications. Microsoft played a gamble with Windows Vista due to which they released many new technologies, architecture etc which did break backward compatibility, but it in a way paved the path for Windows 7.

If it was Windows 7 with which MS was releasing new technologies then Windows 7 would have had the fate like that of Vista. With Vista, Microsoft gave us developers new API like WPF, WCF, WWF, DirectX 10, X-Audio etc, which wasn’t liked much when Vista released as the low end hardware at that time was not capable enough to run Vista - it was Windows XP centric.

Mojave experiment proved that many people hated Vista, didn’t like it just 'cos someone told them this. How can you hate something when you have never tried it? Sure with Vista Microsoft gave a new UI for explorer etc but 3 years later, that UI is common & people using Windows 7 won’t be feeling new. They have been using & working on similar environment since 3 years. That Vista’s UI is now old & generic.

People say, Windows 7 is what Windows Vista should have been, but its a wrong saying!

If it wasn’t for Windows Vista & its success / failures, Windows 7 would not exist in such a successful form as it is today.

seti is offline Member

Thank you for posting this Andy. Perhaps some of the anti-vista crowd will shut up now and realise just what a step forward Vista was and if we get better systems as a result then all the better. Until 7, Vista was the best in my opinion. And thanks for the full the full link which made reading the full arguement great.
    Last edited by seti; 31st July 2009 at 18:41. Reason: updated link by Andyk

iMav is offline Gold Member

I kinda disagree with gx to an extent because Longhorn showed a lot of promise & unfortunately MSFT decided to yank out most of what was supposed to be Longhorn & a lot of it came into 7.

LtBladeKAW is offline Beginner

Some people I have talked to hate Vista and have never used it or heard it was bad. I have been using Vista for about 2 years now on a 5 year old machine. It's a decent OS that has never let me down.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Windows Vista is what truly called as 21st century people OS. It's only Vista's Aero UI which makes possible to really feel and experience the real essence of technology.
    the first build of Windows Vista i use was build 5840, then final RTM build 6000, then with SP1 and now using Windows Vista SP2 build 6002.

Windows Vista is amazing. I can only say that i fall in love with Vista, i was so curious about it that i started spending about 13-15 hrs. daily and a lot of discussion with friends about vista. it started a new era of technology which W7 will take to new heights.

Windows Vista-"WOW Starts Now"

Andy sir, the link given by you is not working, pls chk it.....
    Last edited by nitinagarwal1988; 31st July 2009 at 16:46.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Corrected. Thanks.