Thread: Chickens.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Exclamation Chickens.

This post has nothing to do with technology...

We (including myself) do not think much when we eat chicken, but this link to a GoVeg.com video, which my nephew who resides in NZ, shared with me was an eye-opener.

The more than 9 billion chickens raised on factory farms each year in the U.S. never have the chance to do anything that is natural to them.4 They will never even meet their parents, let alone be raised by them. They will never take dust baths, feel the sun on their backs, breathe fresh air, roost in trees, or build nests.

<embed src="http://www.petatv.com/swf/video.swf?v=mym_chickens_egg_high" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="255" height="195" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed>

Chickens raised for their flesh, called “broilers” by the chicken industry, spend their entire lives in filthy sheds with tens of thousands of other birds, where intense crowding and confinement lead to outbreaks of disease. They are bred and drugged to grow so large so quickly that their legs and organs can’t keep up, making heart attacks, organ failure, and crippling leg deformities common. Many become crippled under their own weight and eventually die because they can’t reach the water nozzles. The birds have part of their sensitive beaks cut off so that they won’t peck each other as a result of the frustration created by the unnatural confinement.

According to a major 2006 Harvard study of 135,000 people, people who frequently ate grilled skinless chicken had a 52 percent higher chance of developing bladder cancer compared to people who didn’t.

Just sharing ...

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

U made me think.......about the issue though I just turned into VEG a month ago but still the info is really heart breaking

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Another Fact regarding animals we breed for food. Everybody is panicking about global warming yet the other day I saw a program on the BBC that stated::

That cows give of 3 times more green house gases than 1 car. The methane they produce is so high that removing them from the human diet would stop man made climate change in its tracks.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    That cows give of 3 times more green house gases than 1 car. The methane they produce is so high that removing them from the human diet would stop man made climate change in its tracks.
    Wooh a lesson for those who just cries for Climatic Conditions

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Perhaps laboratory-grown meat is the future.

seti is offline Member

There is a lot of propaganda given out about food production all the time. I do not think any one should take any notice of any of it. As far as methane is concerned, the average human farts, (lets out )a ton of the suff each year, so perhaps the answer is to kill off all the humans and that would stop gobal warming completely!. I know this will upset some, but personally I do not care about where my food comes from, as long as I can afford to it.

mariotrz is offline Beginner

I have a friend that says that he would like to be a vegetarian if only he didn't love so much a barbecue ( and by barbecue I mean Brazilian stile barbecue, in which we have tons of different kinds of real meet - NEVER burguers ). So aside from the jokes, we're approaching the year of 2022, with the "Soylent Green" option - see Soylent Green (1973) , but I think most in here know the story.

212eta is offline Windows Enthusiast

Unhappy

Oh...boy...

Corrine is offline Gold Member

I grew up on a poultry farm and believe me it was nothing like that then. There were no growth hormones or antibiotics fed to the chickens, just corn and natural chicken feed (usually delivered in burlap sacks but sometimes printed cotton sacks that were recycled into dish towels, potholders. As a little girl, I even had sundresses made from the printed chicken feed sacks.)

The chicken coups were large with roosting areas and were cleaned regularly. The eggs were collected and hand-candled (measured for size of the yoke), crated and picked up for delivery to local markets by a man I only remember being referred to as "the egg man". Small or spotted eggs were kept for home use -- making noodles for soup and the like. Baby chicks were fed a special mash and were shipped around the country, sold through orders in the old Sears catalog.

That said, although the chickens were provided a "healthy environment", so to speak, chickens are very dirty creatures, pecking at and eating whatever they find.