DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Microsoft Store: Buy Windows Vista and get Windows 7 for free

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Microsoft Store: Buy Windows Vista and get Windows 7 for free

Microsoft has the following offer - if you will now purchase a qualifying version (either full or upgrade) of Windows Vista from the company's store, then when Windows 7 becomes available you will get the equivalent edition of the newest OS for free.

Buy, download Windows Vista software from Microsoft Store

I suppose that if you are not a student or have missed pre-order discounts, then this is a pretty good deal. Or at least is so in my opinion, as I always can think of a way where/how to use a spare OS

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

There are also those offerings at Newegg: Newegg reveals Windows 7 OEM prices - Ars Technica

Personally, when I buy Windows, I am getting full version of OS. Just that I always would like to be able to install it somewhere else, when needed, which is not possible with an OEM version as it is bound to a computer it is initially installed on to.

seti is offline Member

You can get an OEM not installed on the PC. I never have anything pre-installed,which is what I ask from my supplier, anything that is I use killdisk to get rid of it, and I have always purchased the OEM versions of Windows.

Yes that can be possible. What I had in mind however, that once you install OEM version on a specific computer, then you cannot install this particular copy anywhere else.

With full version, however, you can remove Windows from the computer you have initially installed it on to, and then install it on a different one, as many times as needed.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by estra View Post
    Yes that can be possible. What I had in mind however, that once you install OEM version on a specific computer, then you cannot install this particular copy anywhere else.

With full version, however, you can remove Windows from the computer you have initially installed it on to, and then install it on a different one, as many times as needed.
    You are right. But isn't that somewhat a theoretical case. I run 4 systems, but I never had the urge to switch the operating systems between them. I would think it is a big hassle - like a reinstallation.

Well, this isn't theoretical to me and, I am quite proficient at that, so it's not trouble at all

seti is offline Member

I have installed an OEM on more that one PC before now without any problems and legally I might add, and have reinstalled when required. What I think will be interesting is to see what the lowest price for 7 Ultimate will be for a legal full version.

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

I have heard that Windows 7 retail dvd (full version) cannot be used to do an upgrade whereas you can do a clean install with an upgrade dvd. Is that right ?

@nithinr6
    I believe, in regards to not being able to do upgrade with full Windows 7, that this would have been true for European customers if Microsoft would not have managed to alleviate concerns of EU Commission in respect to IE. That is no longer the case, though - Update on Windows 7 in Europe.