Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you will bring home 7 today?

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

Well i already have windows 7 installed

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Cool Got mine

Well I have to say , I got the family pack upgrage for up to 3 computers and just installed it last night on my system .

First , it works great , it is alot faster , smoother and seems more stable but I have only been running it less than 12 hours now but did this warrant a whole new OS ? seems to me 7 is just Windows Vista on steroids . It's alot like when I switched from Windows 98 to ME I was kind of dissapointed .

Could Microsoft just not have just put out a service pack for Vista to accomplish this ?

They did this for XP SP2 on a smaller scale .... remember ? sure there are some extra bells and whistles with 7 but it seems to me given the age of Vista which is actually pretty young they could have made this a service pack and made Vista users happy , not that I had problems with Vista .

If you ask me this was just a marketing ploy by Microsoft to grab some of that Mac base and I really do not think it warranted the price tag of a whole new OS .

James is offline Microsoft MVP

I see your point, but Vista had such a poor image/rep (esp. in the enterprise world) that a complete makeover from the ground up was due, IMHO.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ True, I completely agree! Vista as a brand had taken a severe beating and having a Vista SP2 or a Vista SE just wouldnt have sold, in any case. Hence MS decided to re-work, re-brand and sell 6.1 as Windows 7

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by edee View Post

Could Microsoft just not have just put out a service pack for Vista to accomplish this ?
    No. The OS has been worked upon from the kernel, upwards. The core architecture remains the same but a lot has gone within the layers adding up to the GUI. SO, the short answer to your question is no, it is technologically not possible to achieve what has been with just a service pack.
    They did this for XP SP2 on a smaller scale .... remember ? sure there are some extra bells and whistles with 7 but it seems to me given the age of Vista which is actually pretty young they could have made this a service pack and made Vista users happy , not that I had problems with Vista .
    The same that was done with XP SP2 was done with Vista SP1 & SP2, which made the OS far more stable on a wider range of hardware. But, to make it usable on netbooks, reduce the resource usage etc. a lot had to be done within the code.
    If you ask me this was just a marketing ploy by Microsoft to grab some of that Mac base and I really do not think it warranted the price tag of a whole new OS .
    It might seem so to the naked eye from who the OS = GUI.

And as far as marketing ploys goes, we all know what Snow Leopard is to Leopard. So let's not get into the OS X vs Windows debate here.

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Well guys , thanks for the replies , still doesn't really satisfy my dissapointment .

If I was able to get on as a tester in the begining I do not believe I would have shelled out the $$$'s for this OS , not right away anyway , but I figured with all the hype maybe there is something to it ...... not really .
    Maybe others or someone like my kids and wife who I will upgrade from XP to 7 will be impressed but as for myself after using a Vista 64 bit system for over a year and a half that I had absolutely no problem with , I really am not all that impressed , to me it's mostly eye candy . Sorry , but it's just my opinion.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Well what can I say, I didn't have Vista 64 so I waited before I upgraded and I am so glad I did. Windows 7 64bit is a huge improvement over Vista 32. My only gripe is with flash not available for IE8 64 and thats it. Everything else is perfect

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Good news, JR..glad you got Windows 7 in 64-bit.

leofelix is offline Member

I'm planning to buy a new computer with Windows 7 pro within Xmas.

Or better to say: I hope

seti is offline Member

I have given this a lot of thought since the release. I am dleighted with Vista so at the moment so need to change as it would be a change just for the sake of it. Perhaps having the 64 bit Ultimate Vista was the right choice, so when I do change I go for 7 64bit Ultimate edition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast