View Poll Results: Windows 7 design - Who is telling the Truth?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apple

0 0%
  • Microsoft

6 85.71%
  • None of the mentioned Software houses

0 0%
  • I do not know, let's wait for other points

1 14.29%

Thread: Rumors on Windows 7 design - The Truth

leofelix is offline Member

Default Rumors on Windows 7 design - The Truth

Recently I came across this article

AppleInsider | Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X

When it looked to redesign its dominant operating system after the struggles of Windows Vista, Microsoft reportedly turned to Apple's Mac OS X for the "look and feel" of Windows 7.

Simon Aldous, partner group manager with Microsoft, told PCR that the graphical style of Windows 7 -- which he calls "Vista on steroids" -- was inspired by the look of Apple's Mac OS X. The new Windows operating system launched in October.
    But Let's listen to the other side:

How we really designed the look and feel of Windows 7 - Windows 7 Team Blog - The Windows Blog

An inaccurate quote has been floating around the Internet today about the design origins of Windows 7 and whether its look and feel was “borrowed” from Mac OS X. Unfortunately this came from a Microsoft employee who was not involved in any aspect of designing Windows 7. I hate to say this about one of our own, but his comments were inaccurate and uninformed. If you’re interesting in learning more about the design of Windows 7, I suggest reading this AP story with Julie Larson-Green as well as these WSJ (membership required) and Fast Company articles. And here is one of many blog posts on the E7 blog discussing the design process of Windows 7.
    Who is telling the truth in your opinion?

Last edited by leofelix; 14th November 2009 at 02:31.

seti is offline Member

The truth lays where you want it to lay. Probably somewhere inbetween the two.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

As M3 Sweatt said in his blog post:

Perhaps one can take the latest "I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea" commercials a little too seriously (such as this one, Kirsten's Taskbar

Cithel is offline Senior Member

I'm sure that Microsoft copied everything from Apple. I mean really, its obvious. They just have to get that 5% market share to go with the 90% they already have.

I wonder if the guy from MS has been watching too many Apple commercials.

@ Cithel

do you think Microsoft copied Apple Lisa computer too?

I think you know whom Steve Jobs asked to develop applications for "Lisa" and something related API in MacOs

Quote Originally Posted by leofelix View Post
    I think you know whom Steve Jobs asked to develop applications for "Lisa" and something related API in MacOs
    Hmm, wasn't that when Microsoft ripped off the Bob interface from Apple Labs?

Seriously though, I'm pretty amazed that anyone assoicated with Apple in any way could point the finger at anyone for taking ideas from someone else.

<cough> BSD <cough> or even further back <cough> Xerox <cough>.

I do not know, but I have to admit that MS BOB was horrible indeed:-)

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate smart and knowledgeable persons as you are

seti is offline Member

to use another horrible americanism, perhaps both are guilty of "re-imagining", which isn't coping is it

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Microsoft said Friday that its inquiry confirms that a tool aimed to make it easier to load Windows 7 on a Netbook does in fact contain open source code.

"After looking at the code in question, we are now able to confirm this was indeed the case, although it was not intentional on our part," Microsoft's Peter Galli said in a blog posting. "While we had contracted with a third party to create the tool, we share responsibility as we did not catch it as part of our code review process. We have furthermore conducted a review of other code provided through the Microsoft Store and this was the only incident of this sort we could find.
    Full story: Microsoft: Windows 7 tool used GPL code | Beyond Binary - CNET News

As a result, Microsoft said it will make available next week the source code for the tool as well as the binaries under the terms of the General Public License (GPL v2). Microsoft will also make the tool again available to customers at the Microsoft store.
    I love it when a company admits a mistake rather than trying to hide it.

Original story is here by the way:microsoft-lifts-gpl-code-uses-in-microsoft-store-tool

Rafael Rivera's blog is usually a pretty interesting read for those that haven't looked at it before.
    Last edited by Cithel; 15th November 2009 at 19:20. Reason: Spelling :-)