Hi,

I don't know if Windows 7 is selling, so far, noone around me has
    purchased it. I hope Microsoft will not only be Xbox 360 grocery
    stores!

To my eyes (i see myself as a IT geek), the next ms os i would spend
    money on should have these features:

1st- all xp features and layout (on vista and the new stuff, it takes
    quite some time to figure out how to turn on/off the camera! So it
    would take several weeks to "re"learn everythings -linux wins here).
    Xp was good, any reasons to change ? however graphic shapes can be a
    little renew with an uptodate framework ...

2nd-a multiple dimension desktop with a fully proprietary dimension
    desktop where i don't need a 24/24 internet connection and other
    dimensions about desktops office, communication i can access from
    anywhere (from a usb key or online) and that would integrate with the
    proprietary desktop (a little like the so difficult to use xp
    briefcase) so at any time i can decide files i want local and files i
    want to access from anywhere ...

3rd- Something really missing in xp : a multitabs files and folders explorer window

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If I read you right, you will probably stay on XP and continue driving your Ford Model T.

bpascal123 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    If I read you right, you will probably stay on XP and continue driving your Ford Model T.
    If you compare XP to a Ford T : what is Windows 3.1 ???
    In a way, you're stating that men behind the Ford T didn't bring any innovation with this car. I wouldn't agree.

Windows 3.1 did bring a lot of changes. To me XP is more like a Ford Taurus. I wouldn't mind to drive one today, it even still looks ok.

But from Windows 3.x to Vista and Windows 7, it's like going from a tourism car to a Hummer. You have to learn again since the dashboard might be a little different. With so many os available today with easy accessible features Microsoft OS might just be souvenirs SP1-SP2-SP3-patches, hotfixes! At least, it was lively!

whs

Ford Taurus - another bummer. It always gave me backaches when Avis gave me one.
    But have you ever tried Windows7 and for how long, or do you just go by hearsay?

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Fact: A group of software reviewers that tested Vista all said they hated it but a month later while testing a "new" operating system they all agreed that it was brilliant and they couldn't believe that Microsoft could deliver the goods.

The difference was nothing! It was still Vista with different icons, task bar color to match XP and wallpaper.

Conclusion: You should never make a decision until you test it yourself.

It took me a few months to decide Vistas fate and guess what Xp and Vista are where they belong in the history books.
    Now don't get me wrong I loved XP and when I upgraded to Vista I was delighted. Windows 7 is in a different league to both. Its like trying to compare chalk and cheese, You can't.

I do agree however that learning to use a different OS can be mind blowing but there is help out there to get you through.
    Last edited by johnny.rotton; 28th November 2009 at 02:45.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Once you get used to Windows 7, you will find that if offers much more convenience and functionality!

You may also install 3rd party add-ons to get tabbed windows in Windows 7 explorer.exe.

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Each version of Windows has brought new features and a learning curve to go with them, do you want to spend the time learning it? It is worth the effort? Those things only you can decide.

The short answer to your question about what it can be is, well, darn near anything. If you spend some time looking around for third party software (and there are truly massive amounts of open source software programs coming out to compliment the commercial software available) you can make windows look and feel and do pretty much anything you want it to do.

If your looking for an opinion about the learning curve, then going from XP to 7 is fairly significant. But not as significant as going from 3.0 to 3.1 or from 3.1 to XP.

I spent the time to learn the new features of Vista when it came out. It worked great for me. 7 builds on those improvements and is hands down the best MS operating system yet. Is it perfect? No. Will it be frustrating while you learn it? Sometimes, at least it was for me. Was it worth it? For me it was.

whs

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Once you get used to Windows 7, you will find that if offers much more convenience and functionality!

You may also install 3rd party add-ons to get tabbed windows in Windows 7 explorer.exe.
    I would agree with the convenience but have my reservations on the functionality. Many good Vista functions got dropped and some of the components like Movie Maker are a giant step backwards.
    What I like about Win7 is the speed and stability - the eye candy I can live without.

bpascal123 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Ford Taurus - another bummer. It always gave me backaches when Avis gave me one.
    But have you ever tried Windows7 and for how long, or do you just go by hearsay?
    I must admit it wasn't Windows 7 i was trying, it was Vista. (i have mistaken Windows 7 and Windows 7 upgrade with what was on the computer in the shop).

If i soon buy a computer, i would like to know what to expect. And it seems Windows 7 is not i expect.

Thx

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by bpascal123 View Post
    I must admit it wasn't Windows 7 i was trying, it was Vista. (i have mistaken Windows 7 and Windows 7 upgrade with what was on the computer in the shop).

If i soon buy a computer, i would like to know what to expect. And it seems Windows 7 is not i expect.

Thx
    the Dinosaurs didn't expect extinction in their world, but that is what they got. And what are you expecting? Just asking because I can't make out what you are trying to say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast