Thread: looking for volunteers to review a document

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Default looking for volunteers to review a document

My local computer club has asked me to teach a class on System Facilities. The audiance are mostly retirees with beginner level knowledge of PCs. On the very first page (Preface - CH 0) there is a link to the club news which can give you an impression of the club members and current activities.
    I have created a PDF document from which I will teach the class. I will walk them thru the document and demonstrate the various features and programs as we go along. I will also create videos captured from the screen for each chapter that should be as if I was holding the class. That will be done once the document is final.
    If you have some spare time, I would very much appreciate your review of the document. I am looking for a check of the technical accuracy. Although I have tried my best to state correct technical information, it is very possible that there are mistakes. Please refer to the chapter and page numbers with your inputs.
    One word of warning - the document is about 60 pages (with a lot of pictures though). So it will take some time to wade thru it. The class will be held in 2 times 2 hours on 2 different days. The attendees will get the link for the document so that they can do further studies at home (including watching the videos). Then, 2 weeks later, we will arrange for a Q&A session. During the class itself, I do not expect them to retain more than 10% of the content.
    The document you can download from here: ( HCCC Class.zip - Windows Live )

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Nice work! You have undertaken quite an endeavor. It should be fun though.

I have been through the complete document and did not spot anything technically incorrect but do have a few suggestions for your consideration.

Chapter 1, Page 5:

Although not technically incorrect, you can have a movie as a screen saver on Windows 7. However, it is a function of Windows Live Photo Gallery:
    • Download Windows Live Essentials (Essentials - Windows Live)
    • Install it, make sure you install Windows Live Photo Gallery
    • Open Windows Live Photo Gallery
    • Click File > Screen Saver Settings (This will open the 'Screen Saver Settings')
    • Click 'Settings'
    • Browse to where your pictures or video are stored (preferably in a separate folder)
    • In the 'Use this theme:' list box, select an appropriate theme for your transitions.

A nice tutorial from Windows 7 Tutorials: How to Customize your Desktop Background

Chapter 3, Page 2:

Just a suggestion to include a link on how to determine if it is a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. (How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system)

Chapter 3, Page 5:

Since you have already introduced WinPatrol, you may also want to include that with WinPatrol, you can easily add a software program to automatically start when the system is loading. Thus, one less program to download.
    • Right-click on Scotty in the task manager to launch WinPatrol, selecting "Options".
    • Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users: Accept any UAC Elevation Prompt
    • Click Startup Programs and click the Add button at the bottom of the window.
    • Navigate to the location of the program to be added, locate and highlight the .exe file and click Open.

Chapter 4, Page 5:

Although there are many resources available, there is so much information at this one site, you may also want to include a link to the Windows 7 Forums Windows 7 - Tutorial Index

whs

Thank you very much Corrine for taking the time to review the document. I will include your suggestions in the next revision of the document.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

You are most welcome. I hope you share the finished product with us.

whs

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    You are most welcome. I hope you share the finished product with us.
    Of course I will share it. Since the class is planned for early February, I should be done in about 4 weeks - producing the videos will take quite some time. I will ask Anand which is the best place on the forum where we could make it available. It is, however, targetted at beginners. And most of the members here are quite advanced.

seti is offline Member

As Corrine says I hope you will share the document with us. And while many are quite advanced and some aren't it is suprising how much you think you know and then learn how much you don't.