Thread: MP3 or M4P ?

fredharvey is offline Beginner

Default MP3 or M4P ?

Hi ... Okay so whats better for music MP3's or M4p's , I mean towards the quality wise ? Thanks

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fredharvey View Post
    Hi ... Okay so whats better for music MP3's or M4p's , I mean towards the quality wise ? Thanks
    There isn't a simple answer since M4P is a MPEG-4 file container for encoded audio. It can use many different encoding methods. Generally AAC based encoding is the most common and is the highest quality that I know of. Thats what Apple uses for example, but it is still a compressed format so there is still "some" loss in quality from the original. Also M4P unlike M4A or M4B is (or at least can be) copy-protected with DRM mechanisms. I don't like DRM.

The simplest answer is that M4P is higher quality when it is encoded with AAC and the MP3 file is using LAME encoding. But if you want high quality without DRM you could look into a lossless format such as FLAC. The downside to lossless is of course, bigger files.

Best of Luck!

fredharvey is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Cithel View Post
    There isn't a simple answer since M4P is a MPEG-4 file container for encoded audio. It can use many different encoding methods. Generally AAC based encoding is the most common and is the highest quality that I know of. Thats what Apple uses for example, but it is still a compressed format so there is still "some" loss in quality from the original. Also M4P unlike M4A or M4B is (or at least can be) copy-protected with DRM mechanisms. I don't like DRM.

The simplest answer is that M4P is higher quality when it is encoded with AAC and the MP3 file is using LAME encoding. But if you want high quality without DRM you could look into a lossless format such as FLAC. The downside to lossless is of course, bigger files.

Best of Luck!
    Thanks , nicely put . I have a software that convert the DRM M4P into MP3 . I will have to take a look at FLAC type , now that hard drives are much bigger . I guess there still the downside if you have internet gb cap .

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fredharvey View Post
    I have a software that convert the DRM M4P into MP3.
    Depending on your location, removing DRM can be illegal. Plus almost all EULA's specifically prohibit the removal of DRM. Not saying you are doing anything wrong or illegal, just pointing out the obvious. You should check out (if you haven't) the applicable laws and the Eula's you agreed to when you purchased the music.

From a quality perspective converting AAC to LAME (or anything else using compression for that matter) is just going to further reduce the quality. If you take a CD and encode it with AAC and then convert it to FLAC it will never be the same quality as if you had encoded it with FLAC to begin with.

Most people (including myself) can't tell the difference between a well encoded MP3 (lame) and a well encoded FLA (FLAC), but what I do notice is that after about an hour of listening to MP3's my ears are ringing and I have a dull headache. I don't get that when listening to lossless formats. I have no idea why that is.

Bellaar is offline Windows Enthusiast

Can't tell sounds the same 4 both