Thread: The Story behind Apple’s environmental footprint

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Lightbulb The Story behind Apple’s environmental footprint

Today after a long time just checking the Apple’s website and I come around there Apple and Environment page. The efforts Apple is putting to save earth and recycle there product is outstanding. They are planning to almost recycle 50% of weight of the product which they’ll produce in the year 2010.

To accurately measure a company’s environmental footprint, you must look at the impact that company’s products have on the planet. Apple uses comprehensive life cycle analysis to determine exactly where our greenhouse gas emissions — all 10.2 million metric tons of them — come from.
    Apple recycling programs.
    Apple has instituted recycling programs in 95 percent of the countries where our products are sold, diverting more than 83 million pounds of equipment from landfills since 1994. In 2008, Apple recycled 33 million pounds of electronic waste, achieving a worldwide recycling rate of 41.9 percent — our best ever. (To calculate this rate, we use a measurement proposed by Dell that assumes a seven-year product lifetime. The weight of the materials we recycle each year is compared to the total weight of the products Apple sold seven years earlier.) We are committed to achieving an industry-leading recycling rate of 50 percent by 2010.

Read about the Apple’s whole recycling program at the website.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

My question is how much more CO2 is being used to recycle all that waste? I found out that our recycling habits are now causing more harm due to the CO2 used to run recycling plants than the waste from land fills.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Apple's efforts have been really good ever since some organizations blamed Apple product for being a big time polluters. Apple has for the past few years always highlighted it's environmental commitment at EACH & EVERY event they have.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

I believe, Competition is path of better quality, improvement and that's why Apple played a vital role in Computer Industry. Rivalry in between Apple and Microsoft insists to deliver quality products from both.