Thread: Don't Blame Your Community: Ad Blocking Is Not Killing Any Sites

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Talking Don't Blame Your Community: Ad Blocking Is Not Killing Any Sites

Ars wrote an odd post claiming that ad blocking "is devastating to the sites you love." Ars decided to run an experiment where it blocked access to its content to any user using an ad blocker (with no warning or explanation). Not surprisingly, this pissed off a bunch of readers, and Ars now admits that it was a mistake in how it was handled -- but that it still believes ad blockers are harming sites.
    Don't Blame Your Community: Ad Blocking Is Not Killing Any Sites | Techdirt

Whats your take

While ads are an important source of income for a websites upkeep, blocking content to guys who use adblockers in in bad taste imo.

pyu.agrawal is offline Senior Member

I personally use AdBlocker for Gmail & Hotmail, but not for other sites (not sure of which AdBcloker to use !!). As per what I know, only clicking on the Ads would generate revenue to the website, which I don't do anytime. So, my blocking/unblocking won't affect the revenue anyways.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Read the Ars article, after posting my reply. I was wrong. They mention "There is an oft-stated misconception that if a user never clicks on ads, then blocking them won't hurt a site financially. This is wrong. Most sites, at least sites the size of ours, are paid on a per view basis. "

Time to re-think.

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

I use Adblock plus and love it, it improves the browsing experience and keeps your mind on the site content and not on the ads, however, for the sites I love and enjoy I intentionally disable the Adblock for that particular site as not to hurt the sites income.

For those of you using Adblock plus that would like to disable the blocking feature from a favorite site, simply click on the ABP button and click disable on www.name-of-site.com

LeeW is offline Gold Member

I don't use any addins for blocking ad's, the only block I have is Inprivate with one massive filter list to block the Flash ad's (those things will hammer a browser to death). I have found many useful websites thanks to an ad placed on a community here or there, but blocking people for blocking ad's is ridiculous

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Having 3-4 ads is fine imo, but I do agree that some sties have a lot of ads on them, which actually disturb a person while reading the content. That is something I think one shoud avoid, as fas as possible.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

I used to block ads some time ago, but now I am being Generous and if like article of some website than I do click their ads but not frequently.