Thread: Thinking of Putting a Website together need help!!!!

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Question Thinking of Putting a Website together need help!!!!

After alot of thought bouncing back and forth whether I want to mess with it or not I'm still unsure if I want to (sigh). The last website I put together was probably 7 or 8 years ago and you can guess how much it has all advanced since then so I need some help. I've been looking at web hosting and I have no idea which nowadays is the most recommended. Ive heard of GoDaddy, HostMonster, BlueHost................................., but I honestly have no idea what half the gibberish they offer with packages is

What I'm looking for:
    Simple setup
    Support for allowing a donation setup that works with my Paypal
    Commenting
    Forum (maybe haven't decided on that one)
    Unlimited transfers for downloading
    and more importantly what's the most secure

Some may be included as base for all but I dunno.
    I haven't coded a site since I learned html in college and I know basic html isn't the way to go so what would be my best options?

To anyone who comments Thanks in Advance

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Have a look at Build a Website - Squarespace, seems to be all the rage at the mo. 2 week full free trial no credit card needed, thousands of templates and extremely customizable. If you like it and decide to sign up use "Leo" as a promotion code for 10% off.

Hosting is dirt cheap these days, you can even get the site hosted for free if you don't mind an ad on the site. Free Web Hosting with PHP, MySQL and cPanel, No Ads is good for free and for $4.95 a month you get everything (almost)

Good luck.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrMBerman View Post
    Have a look at Build a Website - Squarespace, seems to be all the rage at the mo. 2 week full free trial no credit card needed, thousands of templates and extremely customizable. If you like it and decide to sign up use "Leo" as a promotion code for 10% off.

Hosting is dirt cheap these days, you can even get the site hosted for free if you don't mind an ad on the site. Free Web Hosting with PHP, MySQL and cPanel, No Ads is good for free and for $4.95 a month you get everything (almost)

Good luck.
    Thanks MrMBerman, I'll check it out

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Not much into it, but I use the Wordpress platform and have opted for independent hosting with a friend.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Hosting - No one other than Hostgator

Platform - Wordpress is best though you can try Joomla too. But my recommendetion is for Wordpress. - Very simple setup and easy to go commenting.

PayPal - You can easily add a paypal button to any website - How To: Add PayPal donate button on your website | beingPC

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Right advice Ritesh, use Wordpress self hosted blog and for hosting hostgator is the most promising in the business.....

or before starting your own self hosted blog.....try blogging for sometime using blogger or live spaces and after some experience move to WP Blog.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Wordpress this is the way to go ..just start with a wordpress.com and check out wordpress tutorials on wordpress for beginers etc and then start up