Thread: Firefox's future? Not good, says Mozilla co-founder

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Exclamation Firefox's future? Not good, says Mozilla co-founder

Firefox began life as a scrappy, agile and fast alternative to Microsoft's Internet Explorer, back when the latter had completed its plans to "cut off Netscape's air supply". Since then, however, Firefox has suffered a bad case of feature bloat, its development pace has slowed and it's beaten in benchmarks by more lithe competitors.

One of those is Google's Chrome, which is capturing market share at a rapid pace. It's now the scrappy/agile/fast alternative.

Interesting read at Firefox's future? Not good, says Mozilla co-founder | TechBlog | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

So what's to become of Firefox? What do you think ?

Max Peck is offline New Member

Well, I've used Chrome (and Safari) and like both of them. Firefox, however, is consistently more stable than any of them, IMHO. I'd hate to see them abandon it - it's really a top-rate browser.

-max

Corrine is offline Gold Member

From the above-linked article:
    It's important to keep in mind that Ross is no longer involved in Mozilla. He's now director of product at Facebook.
    We all know the direction Facebook has taken, which, IMO, affects the credibility of Ross's comments.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

On Friday May 7th Mitchell Baker, the woman behind Firefox gave an interview to Click on BBC. Take a look she doesn't seemed worried to me.

Video:

Tantalid is offline Beginner

Default What's Firefox gonna do !!??

I truly believe Mozilla's Firefox will be around for some time to come for sure.... As much work being done overall on the browser, all the time, I think there will be a fresh presence often enough to keep the users happy. True, as addressed in the video there have been problems with various plugins and such, but then again you have many people that seem to believe they have to have nearly every new bell or whistle literally clogging themselves and presenting problems. Whatever the case, personally, I have been using Firefox for *quite* awhile now, and just plain like it !!!!

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Don't believe the hype. Firefox is awesome and is gonna be around for many years to come.

As Corinne mentioned, Ross's comments should be taken with a pinch of salt.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

^Agree FF is really awesome and open source browser is not going to be in coffin for a long time, moreover I am excited to actually use FF on my iPhone, as the new says its going to be launched soon

venkat is offline Beginner

Firefox is going no where where Chrome is going with rocket speed , made Chrome as default browser from Firefox