Thread: My interview with Ed Bott

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up My interview with Ed Bott

I had a chance of interviewing Ed Bott yesterday and we talked about Windows 8, Windows Phone Apple etc..

Me: Bill Gates once said that one technology he is looking forward to is tablet computers. But unfortunately Microsoft’s operating systems couldn’t make an impact in the Tablet PC market – with HP replacing Windows 7 with WebOS in HP Slate and most others using Android or something else. The Windows platform definitely has more free/paid apps than any other OS plus the huge advantage of MS Office but still why do you think the PC makers prefer other OSes to Windows?

Ed: I’m not sure those PC makers actually do prefer other OSes to Windows. We are very early in the lifecycle of slate-type PCs. Most PC makers are still experimenting. I think by end of next year we’ll have a better picture of which platforms are popular. Android and iOS both have phones right now which have attracted developers, to be sure.

Me: A few weeks ago a confidential presentation on the next version of Windows from Microsoft was leaked to the net. Your thoughts!

Ed: I plan to write about that this week. It was a VERY interesting but also very narrow look at what might be coming. Remember that it was aimed at hardware partners and their specific concerns, and not at enterprise customers or consumers. So it was interesting as much for what wasn’t there as for what they talked about.

Me: Is there a specific feature that you would like to see in Windows 8 which is not present in Windows 7?

Ed: Hmm, yes there are several. Most important is a way to save and share settings (and apps) between different PCs. Would also like to see a touch-optimized UI. Currently Windows 7 is optimized for mouse and keyboard and supports touch.

Me: Regarding the touch optimized UI- as per the presentation Microsoft’s 3 main focuses for Windows 8 appear to be Slate, Laptop, and All-in-One. So could that make any difference in the slate category as i asked earlier. And what do you think about the omission of desktop?

Ed: Well, all-in-one is desktop. And the emphasis on slate this year will be with Windows 7, but they really need to build a new shell to fully optimize for touch. I think the old era of the tower CPU, monitor, etc is dying. People want efficient hardware configurations in terms of space and power

As for UI…

Right now it’s the same shell for touch and for keyboard/mouse. I would like to be able to shift to a completely different shell for touch. One that is truly optimized for use with a fingertip (or two or three). The key is to have both, depending on your hardware.

Me: And I guess that’s the reason (inconsistent UI) behind HP allegedly dropping windows 7 for WebOS..

Ed: Yes, although we will see what they actually do. So far it’s all just rumors.
    Full interview at Windows Geek Blog
    Last edited by nithinr6; 14th July 2010 at 03:57.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Nice article

Thanks man

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

That was a good read

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Nicely done!

Thank you Corrine and Ritesh. All credit goes to Ed. I was a bit nervous as it was my first interview. He was really supportive and friendly.
    Last edited by nithinr6; 14th July 2010 at 14:58.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Nice interview

Thanks sir

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Nicely Conducted and well asked questions....great read!!

mezanul is offline Beginner

Nice interview, great read!