Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By japp
  • 3 Post By J_B_MVP

Thread: Google+: As of July 31 your profile must go public

japp is offline Gold Member

Default Google+: As of July 31 your profile must go public

"Public profiles
    The purpose of Google Profiles is to enable you to manage your online identity. Today, nearly all Google Profiles are public. We believe that using Google Profiles to help people find and connect with you online is how the product is best used. Private profiles donít allow this, so we have decided to require all profiles to be public.

Keep in mind that your full name and gender are the only required information that will be displayed on your profile; youíll be able to edit or remove any other information that you donít want to share.

If you currently have a private profile but you do not wish to make your profile public, you can delete your profile. Or, you can simply do nothing. All private profiles will be deleted after July 31, 2011."

Public profiles : Unbrowseable Answers - Google+ Help

As of July 31st, all Google profiles will be public
    Corrine likes this.

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

Mine has always been public, the same as facebook, linkedin, and twitter. Of course I am not in the habit, like some people are, of providing my profile with my life story. Viewers of my profile get told what 'I' want them to know, not what Google or social networks wants me to display. If a social network insisted that my profile contained information that I did not want to be made public then I would simply close my account. There are far too many people prepared to make public their telephpne numbers, addresses, marital status, earnings etc when, frankly, it is no ones business but that of the profile owners.
    HappyAndyK, japp and Corrine like this.

y0himba is offline Beginner

I would appreciate it if someone could walk me though making sure my profile is not public...what do I need to change on my profile settings?

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

As every Google profile will go public on the 31 July it is hardly worth making any changes to prevent people seeing your profile. However if you want to prevent people seeing it until the 31 July deadline you will need to click the down arrow at the right of your user name in your google account (Usually visible in the top right of the google window). From the drop down options, select View Profile. You Google profile will now appear. In the top right hand corner you will seee a button marked Edit Profile, click on this. The edit profile window will now open. Scroll down the list of profile options until you come to Search Visibility. Click on Search Visibility. Remove the check mark (tick) from the Help others find my profile in search results option and then click the Save button.