DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Graphics Problem

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Question Graphics Problem

Ok , I've been everywhere else and got no answers let's see if I can get some answers here .

I am running Windows XP SP3 , right after Christmas I did a Vista upgrade to my system , ran the compatibility test all was ok . Did the upgrade install after 5 hours went fine - rebooted and could not get any other screen resolution than 640x480 .

Everywhere I read it is telling me I am going to need a new graphics card , I have intel 82845 G/GL driver installed , there are no udates for that driver as intel stopped updating around 2005 .

I don't have the $100 US right now to purchase a graphics card nor do I know if my machine can even accept one , is there anything that can be done so I can get Vista installed and be able to change my screen resolutions ?

Had to revert back to XP .

Any help would be great .......... Thanks

iMav is offline Gold Member

As far as i know, 845 based PCs should have screen resos supported but Aero won't work AFAIK. Try installing XP drivers, long shot but just might work.

seti is offline Member

Have you tried to update through Update, and through control panel/device manager find your graphics card there and then click properties, on the driver tab do up date driver? and I take it when you had Vista on you right clicked to personalize and adjudsted your screen resolutuion there? If not try both these things. As far as paying out for a new graphic card, get one from ebay there are plenty of new ones on there going cheeply. And are you sure it's not a monitor problem?

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

well why not go for a board upgrade with rams and use your current processor. You could go with onboard graphics...

Choto Cheeta is offline Trusted Member

Any help would be great .......... Thanks
    Sorry to say but a hardware upgrade is the only sol to run Vista... 845 onboard GPU sub system is not meant to run Vista , least is 945 to run Vista with GMA 950

I don't have the $100 US right now to purchase a graphics card
    Even an AGP version of nvidia 6200 LE would be fine enough for vista and that should be around USD 40 or such.

Thanks.

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thumbs up Thanks to all !

Just want to say thanks to all for the advice , I believe I have it all figured out now .

This computer ( Gateway ) I have upgraded is over 5 years old , bought it with XP SP1 on it . Everyone kept telling me that I was limited as to what I could do with a low profile , slim line Gateway PC but I beg to differ , please read on .....

This PC still is running the original motherboard so I am suprised to see that it can run Vista but to my suprise it is .

I took out the old 36Gb Seagate hard drive and replaced with a 160Gb Western Digital Caviar hard drive and partitioned into 30 - 40 gig partitons , was orginally running 1.25 gigs of ram , added new ram and am up to 2.5 gigs of ram now . Still running original Intel Celeron 2Ghz processor . As for the graphics card the low profile NVIDIA GeForce FX5500 PCI with 128mb of on board ram seems to work fine and am not having any heat problems as of yet as I have left the sytem on for the last 2 days straight .
    After upgrading to Vista it seemed kind of slow but knowing that Vista is a graphics hog so immediately aero glass had to go and after you get rid of all the rest of the crap you really do not need in Vista the OS sped up significantly .

The real test is going to be gaming , I just finished all the upgrades just a couple of days ago and am still tweaking and have not loaded any games on as of yet , I'll let you know how that goes .

Again thanks to everyone for the advice !
    Last edited by edee; 24th January 2009 at 19:34.