Thread: Partition access very slow....

bigotico is offline New Member

Post Partition access very slow....

Why is partition access on my computer slow????

I have a DELL XPS 420 running VISTA 32 with 2 internal hard drives. None of the hard drives are set to RAID.
    Hard drive (1) has two partitions C: & D: with C: having the only operating system on this computer. Hard drive (2) is Z: with no other partitions.
    These drives are using about 30gigs of data with a maximum space of 74gigs.

My problem is after I boot my computer and try to access drive letter D: or Z: it takes about 40 seconds or so to access but my C: drive is instant. Once the contents of D: or Z: drive finally load on the screen I will be able to access items in those drives quickly later on. I believe this all started after I installed an update after service pack 1.

Does anybody have an Idea what can be causing this? Thanks in advance.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

First of all, WELCOME to WVC forum.

I would like to suggest three things:

1. Run Drive Error Checker (To access, right-click on drive > properties > Tools > Error Checking).
    2.Then, do a system defrag using a good program like Defraggler or Auslogics Defrag.
    3. Next, use the below trick:

Right-click on the drive > properties

Switch to hardware tab.

Highlight your SATA drive in the list and click the properties button.

Switch to the policies tab.

Select the "enable enhanced performance" option. Note the warning. Click OK.

4. Lastly, please scan your computer with a good antivirus like Kaspersky or NOD.

Thanks for the quick reply "tweakwindows".

I have already tried those things you suggested prior to me asking for help. I had also just formated and reinstalled VISTA too. This lag time seems to happen after the service pack 1 updates. Prior to those updates, access to those extra drives were fast.
    This lag happens every time I boot up my computer and access those drives for the first time. Good thing is if I go back later during the same session (no rebooting) there isn't a problem but if I reboot and I click on the drive for the first time again it lags. Weird, right?

So you have done all things that I have mentioned. Fine. The one thing you can do is move all the contents of your SLOW drive to the normal drive and then format it. This will work 100%. But again, you need to move all the contents of the drive.

Thanks but still nothing. Before I installed VISTA for the 2nd time I wiped both hard drives including the partitions off. Like I said this starts to happen after service pack 1 updates???? C: drive where the operating system is fine (FAST ACCESS ALWAYS) but D: drive a partition on independent internal drive (1) and drive (2) (WITH NO PARTITIONS) Z: are still slow when I click for the first time during a session (logged on).

Strange that it only happens only after the SP1 update. Try to clean out the unrequired SP1 files by running VSP1CLN.EXE Tool in the system 32 folder.

Thanks for your help. I will just leave it as it is.

I did have another question....Is it possible to delete EISA CONFIGURATION on disk 1 (my second independent hard drive)? Also, whats the purpose of this secret partition using 3.7gigs of space. I have tried to delete and format partitions on that disk but its still there. That disk drive is a spare with no operating system on it.

Thanks.

Generally Extended Industry Standard Architecture (EISA) partition contains backup files and some diagnose utilities which help you to restore your system to the earlier state. I recommend not to delete this partition unless you are very sure that you have Recovery Disk which can do the same job.

And you can't delete the partition easily by using Vista Disk Management. You need to do some special procedure. But again, I recommend not to delete that.

OK. Thanks for all your help

You are welcome