DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Core2Duo vs Core2Quad

anandn_mvp is offline Microsoft MVP

Default Core2Duo vs Core2Quad

Hi,

Is there any major difference regarding performance between Core2Duo and Core2Quad? Will I get significant increase in speed if I use a Quad instead of Core2Duo for Vista and Windows 7?

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

^ If you already have C2D then you won't find any major boot in performance by using C2Q. In my opinion, it's almost waste to upgrade from C2D to C2Q. You may get a max of 10% performance boost.
    You can find more information about the difference at our Choto Cheeta's (Our Admin) blog.
    Difference between 45nm Core 2 (Duo / Quad) and 65nm Core 2 (Duo / Quad) | Choto Cheeta Online

ravi_9793 is offline Senior Member

There is no need of quad core powered PC... C2D is enough for fast computing. I have C2D E7200, and it is fast and smooth.

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

The different will only be noticible if you work with multi-threading applications like Archivers, Encoders etc.

You wont notice much of a difference in your day to day browsing, computing and gaming.

Though as a future proof purchase without considering the cost, Quad would be the way to go. But value for money? A nice Dual core should suffice.

seti is offline Member

I have an AMD Athlon duel core 4400+ 2.30ghz processor which suits me fine, but I was wondering if there was any real difference between Intel and AMD apart from price, and who would use a quad core processor

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

I had a duel core for a while but found it was a bit slow for gaming and video editing. I got an Intel Quad core Q6600 2.40GHz much better. While doing mundane work the CPU runs at 0% gaming say DiRT runs at around 50% with all settings maxed out this is with Norton running in background.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    I had a duel core for a while but found it was a bit slow for gaming and video editing. I got an Intel Quad core Q6600 2.40GHz much better. While doing mundane work the CPU runs at 0% gaming say DiRT runs at around 50% with all settings maxed out this is with Norton running in background.
    thanks for that in put Johnny and welcome to the forum, from what you are saying it seems that a quad core is essential for gaming and viedo editing but if you don't do these things then a duel core would be ok?

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by seti View Post
    thanks for that in put Johnny and welcome to the forum, from what you are saying it seems that a quad core is essential for gaming and video editing but if you don't do these things then a duel core would be ok?
    That OK, but I will say though if you need more power from you CPU you could try over clocking it Via the bios if you mother board is compatible. Be aware though as this can make the processor run Hot so you will require good ventilation. Try starting at 5% then work your way up to make sure the CPU remains stable.

anandn_mvp is offline Microsoft MVP

I think C2Q will be good for capturing videos using camtasia studio than C2D.

seti is offline Member

Just visited your site, it's great Anand really impressed with it and your awards!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast