DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Acer Al1717 LCD Crashes in 3 monitor config

realkewl is offline New Member

Default Acer Al1717 LCD Crashes in 3 monitor config

I'm using (2) EVGA e-geforce 8800 GT 512 OC in a 3 monitor configuration.
    Monitors are: Samsung, NEC and ACER

I've had this configuration working great for the last six (6), then last month my computer would not boot. Figured out that when I unplugged the ACER monitor it would boot. Plugging in the ACER causes the NEC monitor to display red and system freezes then blue screen crashes. Saying something about nvl....sys file.

I'm using the latest nvidia drivers 181.22

My CURRENT rig is as follows: (Upgraded to this system because I thought it was the PCI slot going bad...but same problem in this setup...clean install of Vista 64)
    (2) 8800 GT 512 OC
    ASUS AN832 - SLI Deluxe
    AMD 64 FX - 55
    2 Gigs Ram
    600w ULTRA PS
    Vista 64 Home Prem

My previous rig is as follows: (3 monitors worked for at least 6 months , then ACER caused crash)
    (2) 8800 GT 512 OC
    ASUS AN5X
    AMD 64 FX - 55
    2 Gigs Ram
    600w ULTRA PS
    Vista 32 Home Prem

I'm thinking that it's Vista and ACER AL1717 not working together...because if I unplug all monitors but the ACER, I get the motherboard splash screen (looks fine) then it goes black and nothing.

NVIDIA display setting shows both the Samsung, and NEC. But when you plug in the ACER it says Analog monitor.

I've downloaded the ACER drivers...but I am unable to load them because every time to plug in the ACER monitor it crashes. Please help.

Thanks,
    realkewl

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Just a thought but since it use to work and does not work now, have you plugged the monitor into a XP system to see if the monitor works period?

That might have to be my next step. If you're thinking the monitor is bad (which I thought also) why would it cause Vista to crash when it's plugged in.

Keep in mind that I do see the motherboard's splash screen on boot up.

Thanks,
    realkewl

roraniel is offline Gold Member

hard to say, but testing it would eliminate that possibility.

iMav is offline Gold Member

As you said seems to be Acer & Vista not being able to get along. I'd suggest you download the specific driver for your monitor type & try.

Download Page

Just had a news flash. Was reading ACER's PDF manual for my monitor and realized that it is supposed to have two inputs Analog and DVI-D. However the e-Geforce is only DVI so I know I'm using a VGA to DVI convertor. (doing the same thing on the NEC, but not the Samsung, it's going right to DVI)

Wondering if the ACER monitor cannot handle the quality coming out of it in the VGA slot. Just a thought. Think I'll pick up a DVI cable tonight and try using the DVI slot...if it indeed has it...cannot recall and currently in the office.

The manual says if it did it would have came with the cable...but I do not recall seeing it and I know for sure I'm using the VGA to DVI convertor.

-Realkewl

I figured out a work around that I will share.

The problem is with ACER AL1717 and the analog and EVGA eGeforce 8800 GT DVI.

I'm using a convertor from DVI to analog. For whatever reason the ACER stop taking this signal after 6 months. The analog still works on the ACER, because I put the ACER AL1717 on my wife's XP machine running an eGeforce 6500. Works fine.

I in turn took her Samsung SyncMaster 17" Analog and plugged it into the 8800 DVI using the DVI convertor and guess what? It worked! So it's a good work around...however too bad I spent over $500 (bought new case…because I thought the CPU was getting too hot; new motherboard because I thought the PCI slot was going bad, new DVD player because the old was white and did not match the new case.), one month of time and frustration, and reformatted my computer (installed Vista 64) trying to figure this stupid thing out.

Not sure how's to blame it's sad that for one simple thing you have so many players and I'm sure everyone on this forum knows that so I'm just preaching to the chorus:

Microsoft you've got to do better.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Interesting work around.