DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista freezes when i try to connect

gentlehouse is offline New Member

Default Vista freezes when i try to connect

My Vista freezes whenever it connects me to the net, I'm using this wireless network addapter: WT 2000 PCI Network Adapter (AirLive) - which works perfectly on XP.

I don't know what to do, I have the newest drivers, newest firmware, what should I do?

Please help 'cuz I cant go back to XP...you know

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Are you sure you have the correct driver?

Airlive WT-2000PCI Firmware & Driver

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by gentlehouse View Post
    My Vista freezes whenever it connects me to the net, I'm using this wireless network addapter: WT 2000 PCI Network Adapter (AirLive) - which works perfectly on XP.

I don't know what to do, I have the newest drivers, newest firmware, what should I do?

Please help 'cuz I cant go back to XP...you know
    Hello and welcome to our forum. Have you tried to install in safe mode, try that it may work. Also what version of Vista are you using the more information that you give more someone here will be able to help.

Thanks for the welcome and for fast response!

I have those drivers, thank you, I will try to install it again but this time in safe mode...

I'm using Vista Ultimate x86
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GH
    Asus P5B Motherboard

My BIOS is out of date, but if it works fine on XP - I don't see why should I update my BIOS

The symptom of the problem is: I go to Start, then I hit: Connect to, My connection, then you that goes this: Connecting My Connection through wan miniport... and when it comes to: Verifying Username and Password - my PC freezes it self and then only reset helps.

It smells like some incompatibility between the PCI network adapter and the rest of the system, but again - it works fine on XP.

I even tried to test Windows 7 beta, and I have the same problem. Maybe I should by Vista x64?

Thank you

seti is offline Member

try getting driver updates for your bios would be the obvious answer if you could connect, but you can't. If you have the information and a friend you could get them to download and copy them to a disk for you.. which migh help. Did you do a clean install or upgrade and before you installed did you run the compatabilty wizard to check things first. If you did not and you've not gone too far with load things, I think what I'd do would be to put XP back on then put in the Vista Disk and do a compatibilty while connected with XP that way you might sort out your problem. If you have 64 bit, it is best to run Vista in 64. Hope this helps if not then I am sure some one else with more techy skill will be able to help you

thanks seti, I work on XP now. I found Vista x64 from a friend to try connect through it, and I get the same problem.

I bought 3 wireless network adapters until now, spent around 140 dollars just on that, non of them work and meintenence guys of my internet provider don't know a thing about it, just this one mentioned above works on XP. - That's the price of living in freaking Bosnia and Herzegovina. I must emigrate from here...

thanks anyway guys! c ya 'round

...and by the way - compatibility wizard in windows only checks and helps with work on software... or I'm wrong?

roraniel is offline Gold Member

No. It checks installed hardware.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by gentlehouse View Post
    My BIOS is out of date, but if it works fine on XP - I don't see why should I update my BIOS
    You can check to see what issues the BIOS update addresses; it may well solve your problem, or 'improve' networking in some manner. I am a firm believer in BIOS & firmware updating, but it should be done with caution and and understanding of what is happening. It is a lot more foolproof than it was years ago, which is a good thing.
    Welcome to the WinVistaClub, too!

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You can check to see what issues the BIOS update addresses; it may well solve your problem, or 'improve' networking in some manner. I am a firm believer in BIOS & firmware updating, but it should be done with caution and and understanding of what is happening. It is a lot more foolproof than it was years ago, which is a good thing.
    Welcome to the WinVistaClub, too!
    Thanks James, I've downloaded newest BIOS version, I've being studying ''how to'' from ASUS web site, and yeah, now it is foolproof I trust you, it seems that this is my way out, the only problem is that I don't have a floppy device I thought that I will never need it so I didn't bough it - man I really need foolproof BIOS install procedure ...but it seams that I can update my BIOS with USB stick too...

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast