DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firewalls Reviewed

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Personally, i have never understood the need for a firewall! What exactly do you wish to achieve by the firewall? I mean i have never come across any program i use for which i would want to cut off internet access!

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

^A firewall acts as a barrier between the public internet and your private computer or network and blocks threats including some viruses.

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

i dont know what i would do without a firewall. before, i didnt have one turned on..then viruses attacked me. if youre an internet freak like me, you need some kind of "detterent"

seti is offline Member

One of the best firewall testers, which does not say which is best is shields up which is found at grc.com

winkid is offline Beginner

once i used outpost...but ya it's kinda irritating

leofelix is offline Member

well, in the meanwhile some things changed

Results and comments - matousec.com

Now OnLine Armor 3 free is listed.
    As I got some problems with OnLine Amor 3 free, now I'm using Comodo Internet Security 3.5 (without Comodo Antivirus, Defense + and some optional toolbar for IE) + Kasperky Antivirus 2009 + MalwareBytes' AntiMalware 1.33 in my laptop with Vista Home Premium SP 1.

And everything is all right

However I know that OnLine Amor 3.1 beta (it's a public beta) fixed many issues as you can see

Online Armor forums - View Single Post - Online Armor 3.1 Public Beta Released

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by tweakwindows View Post
    ^A firewall acts as a barrier between the public internet and your private computer or network and blocks threats including some viruses.
    @alsiladka, in addition to tweakwindows response, should your computer become infected, a software firewall also acts as a barrier to block the infector from calling home.

I use the Windows Vista Firewall behind a Linksys WRT160N router. Linksys.com ? Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Broadband Routers/Wireless-N (draft 802.11n)/WRT160N. (By the way, WVC member, Vista4Beginners, has a nice tutorial on the Windows Vista firewall: Windows Firewall | Windows Vista for Beginners

Since I find I am still running up against logs where the users don't have a software firewall, I keep the list of firewall programs free for personal use handy (Due to the Ask toolbar leofelix alluded to I don't choose to list either Comodo or ZA.)

Agnitum Outpost Firewall
    Kerio Personal Firewall
    Online Armor Free

Scott Finnie did a review of firewalls last year and selected Online Armor as the best product. (See Scot?s Newsletter Blog Blog Archive The Best Firewall Software of 2008: Online Armor)

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    @alsiladka, in addition to tweakwindows response, should your computer become infected, a software firewall also acts as a barrier to block the infector from calling home.

I use the Windows Vista Firewall behind a Linksys WRT160N router. Linksys.com ? Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Broadband Routers/Wireless-N (draft 802.11n)/WRT160N. (By the way, WVC member, Vista4Beginners, has a nice tutorial on the Windows Vista firewall: Windows Firewall | Windows Vista for Beginners

Since I find I am still running up against logs where the users don't have a software firewall, I keep the list of firewall programs free for personal use handy (Due to the Ask toolbar leofelix alluded to I don't choose to list either Comodo or ZA.)

Agnitum Outpost Firewall
    Kerio Personal Firewall
    Online Armor Free

Scott Finnie did a review of firewalls last year and selected Online Armor as the best product. (See Scot?s Newsletter Blog Blog Archive The Best Firewall Software of 2008: Online Armor)
    This product at the time of the testing was for XP ONLY and from what I am reading it still doesn't include Vista (unless I've got it wrong). Personally I still got for AVG internet Security, because it does always rate highly in testing yes it does have a large foot-print, but with security suites, which ever you choose, you have one product that does everything and you don't have to then to look around for each individual part. And on the subject of testing every person seems to come up with a different idea which is why I like Steve Gibson's Shiled Up. It doesn't tell you what is best, only how your firewall is working. The Vista built-in firewall did well in the test, so if you want a free one then you might as well stick with that.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by alsiladka View Post
    Personally, i have never understood the need for a firewall! What exactly do you wish to achieve by the firewall? I mean i have never come across any program i use for which i would want to cut off internet access!
    Firewall filters your internet traffic and enables to open or block ports or protocols for sepcifice apps...

Like if you want block IE to use internet...just simple add iexplore.exe in blocked app list and select HTTP or 8080 port.

Thats it....!

leofelix is offline Member

Default @ Corrine

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    (Due to the Ask toolbar leofelix alluded to I don't choose to list either Comodo or ZA.)
    hi Corrine,
    yes I meant Ask toolbar and "Comodo safety surf" (or something similar), I do not need them.
    I also use a router, but I prefer to use a powerful personal firewall too.
    I want to know what software is trying to connect, what kind of intrusion I can stop etc etc etc.
    Thank you and sorry for my poor english

Regards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast