DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

View Poll Results: Do you use a 3rd party stand-alone Firewall on your Windows ?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I use in-built Vista/7 Firewall

29 34.12%
  • Comodo

9 10.59%
  • ZoneAlarm

7 8.24%
  • Online Armor

5 5.88%
  • Outpost

7 8.24%
  • Jetico

0 0%
  • PCTools Firewall

4 4.71%
  • Rising Firewall

0 0%
  • Other

6 7.06%
  • My Security Suite has an in-built firewall

18 21.18%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do you use a 3rd party stand-alone Firewall on your Windows?

Cithel is offline Senior Member

The issue that I still have with Windows firewall is not that it is less secure in blocking attacks from an external source but that in a default setup it does absolutely nothing to prevent information from leaving the PC. If you do enable the outbound side of the firewall it does not notify you when a program is requesting outbound access.

Running a firewall that does not block outbound access is inherently insecure. A firewall that doesn't alert the user that a program is trying to connect to the internet (once configured) is even worse as it provides a sense of false security. Further, since Microsoft has allowed the ability for programs to add exceptions to the firewall it is even less secure.

If for any reason your anti-malware or anti-virus is circumvented or unaware of an infection the firewall should be the one piece that tells you a program is trying to gain outbound access, that would at least alert you to a possible issue, especially if you do not recognize the program.

Max_Payne is offline Senior Member

Cithel, consider that in Mac OS X the firewall is disabled by default.

Can you suggest extensive guides to configure properly Windows Firewall on Vista/7?
    Except a third party application as Windows 7 Firewall Control, I found a few indications about.

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Payne View Post
    Cithel, consider that in Mac OS X the firewall is disabled by default.
    Well, when you compare the number of attack vectors on the PC to the Mac, Apple can afford to be a bit arrogant for now, but those days are coming to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Payne View Post
    Can you suggest extensive guides to configure properly Windows Firewall on Vista/7? Except a third party application as Windows 7 Firewall Control, I found a few indications about.
    Until MS disallows 3rd party applications the ability to add exceptions to the firewall there aren't any guides that can make any difference. I'd suggest almost ANY 3rd party firewall over the built in one especially if you ever turn off UAC.

I really wish MS would get it together on the firewall, maybe in Windows 8.

ORKAN is offline Beginner

Why not ?
    When you install the 3rd party Firewall, it will automatically shut down the Windows Firewall for you.
    (Like some of the Antispyware (or some Antivirus) which auto shut down the Windows Defender.)
    You can see that all known 3rd party Firewall are upgrading to compatiable to Vista or Windows 7.

athena is offline Beginner

I use Online Armor + bitdefender antivirus

I once had zone alarm pro, uninstall it because my cause problems with firefox

Silver is offline New Member

I have been using Vista Firewall Control now Called 7 firewall control for some time.It enables outbound filter in a easy configureable way.Its light on resources and easy to set up.I have the free version that is for both Vista and 7.Available from Sphinx Software at sphinx-soft.com
    Last edited by Silver; 10th February 2010 at 08:25.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345