Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista Firewall will not start

signup is offline New Member

Default Windows Vista Firewall will not start

I need help for my windows firewall problem, I can't turn it ON. I noticed that I don't have the Windows Firewall Authorization Driver (mdsdrv.sys). How to install this driver and where can I get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

^Try this:
    1.Go to command prompt admin rights and execute the below command:
    sfc/scannow
    2.Wait for few minutes so that windows will fix the problem.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Type devmgmt.msc in search bar and hit enter to open Device Manager. In views tab check on Show Hidden Devices and also show Devices By Connection.

Locate Windows Firewall Authorization Driver in the list and double click on it to open its Properties box. Click on Driver tab and ensure that the process is started and startup type is Demand. Click OK.

Pls see if Windows Vista Firewall Fails To Start At Startup helps you.

seti is offline Member

if you have the installation disk, firstly clean it to remove any grease on it, and then start the installation process, when promted you then can choose to repair the installation. this will not change anything on your system, but can solve problems there. another opion is to do a complete check disk, or try starting in safe mode to get your windows firewall working and then follow the advice from tweak and andy. in all cases you will not harm anything. the very last resort is to do a new complete install

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Type devmgmt.msc in search bar and hit enter to open Device Manager. In views tab check on Show Hidden Devices and also show Devices By Connection.

Locate Windows Firewall Authorization Driver in the list and double click on it to open its Properties box. Click on Driver tab and ensure that the process is started and startup type is Demand. Click OK.

Pls see if Windows Vista Firewall Fails To Start At Startup helps you.
    That's what I'm saying, I don't have it in Device manager...I think that's the problem why my WF won't start.

Quote Originally Posted by seti View Post
    if you have the installation disk, firstly clean it to remove any grease on it, and then start the installation process, when promted you then can choose to repair the installation. this will not change anything on your system, but can solve problems there. another opion is to do a complete check disk, or try starting in safe mode to get your windows firewall working and then follow the advice from tweak and andy. in all cases you will not harm anything. the very last resort is to do a new complete install
    I have the preinstalled recovery disk only, and reinstalling is only my last resort. Can I do repair using my recovery disk? Im doubt...I think it will revert to factory settings.

Quote Originally Posted by tweakwindows View Post
    ^Try this:
    1.Go to command prompt admin rights and execute the below command:
    sfc/scannow
    2.Wait for few minutes so that windows will fix the problem.
    I have tried this already and it did not fix all the corrupted files.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Very bad. What's status of Windows Firewall service status?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Have you checked on Show Hidden Devices and also show Devices By Connection?
    Still cant see it ?

Then sfc/scannow is the next step logically. But you say you have already done that.

And since you have a pre-installed recovery, yes, it will revert to factory settings.

Hmmm ... hope someone has some ideas on it. Will revert if I come across anything else.

seti is offline Member

I take it you tried doing it in safe mode, press f8 when you boot and try starting from there. If all else fails try to get help from blogs.technet.com - fix it for me ask the question and they might come up with the answer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast