DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous scripts try to run when browsing.

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

Default Dangerous scripts try to run when browsing.

ive encountered few times where while searching for content on google or yahoo, some sites try to get you to run scripts..and out of those few times, i had to shut off comp and restart because they keep popping up even if click deny.. is there some kind of freeware to prevent this from happening? its annoying to a certain degree.

*note- the sites i search are harmless ones .. no adult sites mind you but some websites can be deceivers in disguise.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Are you talking about ads?

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

yeah i too feel they are ads as pop ups...

phoenix_abhi is offline Windows Enthusiast

They are not ads. It is another way of social engineering. Do not click on the popups, they have link to some malicious code, which execute behind the process. It can even dangerously hurt ur computer. Most of the old symantec/ norton, mcafee users fall prey on this trap. I can not give exact reason of this, but u were searching or viewing some image or thumbnails from the concerned site.

yes phoenix.. i know well enough not to click them..ive been victim of virus attack before.. it was some kind of graphics website.

leofelix is offline Member

v3locity,
    If I understood your problem:
    first of all never click on "yes/ok" or "ignore/deny" when you encounter this kind of 'pop up' windows while surfing the web, both you click on "ok" or "ignore" malicious script will start running: It's scareware which at first will attempt to persuade your PC is infected, then to download a 'rogue security software' (take a glance here please Spyware Warrior: Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites ).

Simply open "Task Manager" and kill your browser related processes: your system won't get infected.
    Or you can click "Alt + F4" too.

However If you use Firefox as default browser install "no script" add on, if you use IE 7 you can try "IE7 pro" add on ( IE7Pro - The Ultimate Add-On for Internet Explorer ).

If I were you I would scan system with MalwareBytes' AntiMalware 1.32 and/or SUPERAntiSpyware free 4.24 anyway.

Some good stand alone tools to clean 'rogue security software' are SmitFraudFix
    SmitFraudFix - "Combofix" A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix
    and NVT Rogue Software and Fake.Alert Remover NoVirusThanks.org - Programs - NVT Rogue Software and Fake.Alert Remover

I hope these suggestions will help you

sorry for my english
    Last edited by leofelix; 10th January 2009 at 10:14.

youre english is fine. after i encountered the bad script, i reacted by logging off comp and coming back on. then started avirus scan for good measure which yielded nothing. so its all good. yes, iam on FF and will look into no script add on

Hi v3loc1ty,
    it's very kind of you, I'm from Italy and my english is becoming very rusty as time goes by

Well, along side with "no script" (you'd better to give permissions only to web sites you trust) you may also consider to install "adblock plus", "WOT" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3456 and "Finijan Securebrowsing" add ons Finjan Vital Security- SecureBrowsing for Firefox.

Another good idea could be to protect your HOSTS file too; for example with immunization option included in SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.6.x The home of Spybot-S&D!
    take a look here too Spybot-S&D: Tutorial please.

You do not need to install hundreds of security software if you use:

1) a good personal firewall with HIPS (Host-Based Instrusion Prevention System)
    2) a good antivirus (I generally suggest Avira free or premium, Nod32 or Kaspersky AV)
    3) a couple of antispyware
    4) keep your OS always updated, of course
    5) Experience, knowledge, and awareness because the best antivirus is YOU

Ciao (cheer you)
    Last edited by leofelix; 10th January 2009 at 19:28.

lol. ive had WOT and ABP add ons since i bought my comp in july. they keep me safe alongside defender, spysweeper and trend virus...and now ive added on "no script" for F

Hi
    I have to say your PC is well protected.
    I personally do not like Windows Defender (i deactivated it in my laptop with Vista Home Premium SP 1).
    As I beta tested MalwareBytes' AntiMalware the developers gave me a full lifetime free license, I'm very proud both I beta tested it and of MalwareBytes Corp software.
    MBAM detect and destroy every kind of Rogue, spyware, Trojan Vundo and other malware.
    You can use it for free (without real time time module) too.
    I think you won't regret.

see you

P.S MalwareBytes Corp do not pay me, of course. I simply like a lot MalwareBytes' AntiMalware and I'm aware of its effectiveness
    Last edited by leofelix; 11th January 2009 at 22:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast