Thread: Are digitally unsigned programs unsafe ?

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

Default Are digitally unsigned programs unsafe ?

when a program isnt digitally signed, does that mean it could be unstable? i figure if its going to be intergrated into the system, at least it should have a digital sig. for a little peace of mind. though i do have a few apps that arent signed, yet they are free of any harmful viruses and other harmful entities

leofelix is offline Member

Interesting question,
    perhaps you may find some answers here
    Microsoft Corporation

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

when a program isnt digitally signed, does that mean it could be unstable? i figure if its going to be intergrated into the system, at least it should have a digital sig. for a little peace of mind. though i do have a few apps that arent signed, yet they are free of any harmful viruses and other harmful entities
    First of all,it's up to the software manufacture's interest to digitally sign a software.So, there might be some Software companies who don't like to do that.So we get some softwares that are not digitally signed but very stable.

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Digital Signatures only add to the aunthenticity, but are in no means the only proof of a softwares stability or genuineness. Not every developer could afford a DS, some freelancers who develop small freewares in their parttime just develop the software, dont sign it.

Dont be scared of unsigned apps, if you are not sure of its stability, read about it on the web and userforums like this.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Yeah no one will afford to go for a DG and that to with reputed names like Verisign and all. SO before installing take a look at the details.

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

hmmm i didnt know DS's could cost them money. interesting. wonder how much for each DS