Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i set internet security to high?

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

Default Should i set internet security to high?

wondering, because of all the news about new strain of viruses, should i set internet security to high? or stay medium range?

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

I find as long as you have a good anti-vir and your windows is upto date as well as your IE or Firefox you should be ok, If in doubt download mcafee site advisor from McAfee SiteAdvisor - Firefox Extension Download for firefox as well as IE. This lets you know if the site you are visiting is safe to browse and download from, as well as giving you a detailed look at why or why not its safe. Its free to download as well and works with all known anti-viruses. Hope this helps v3loc1ty.

seti is offline Member

As long as you've all the windows updates which you should have through automatic updates and your av is up to date you should be alright. You can also if you are worried go to trend micro for their free "home call " virus check. Most of what is happening is because of un-patched and un-updated pcs allowing these to spread. If you be sensible which you are follow the advice from microsoft which I've parphrased here you'll be ok. You should not really change from the recommended settings unless Microsoft gives that advice. Also you should through your av be able to do a deep scan of your system, but that is only really needed if you think you have a problem

trend micro anti virus updates auto matically..as well as spysweeper redefining new definitions all the time. anyhoo, thx for replies

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Are you referring to the new Conficker worm ?

Well, actually Microsoft had discovered this vulnerability which the Conficker worm exploits before the worm actually surfaced & addressed it at the end of October 2008 with Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-067. Users who applied that security update would have been protected against the worm.

To protect against the Conficker worm family, Microsoft recommends that users ensure their anti virus protection is up to date with the latest definition and install Microsoft's MS08-067 patch and all latest security WindowsUpdates. The latest Malicious Software Removal Tool also now has this capability.

I think you should stick to default settings.

These may interest you:
    http://www.winvistaclub.com/s26.html
    http://www.winvistaclub.com/t229.html

MS already sent me update to its malicious tool thingy so im good.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    I find as long as you have a good anti-vir and your windows is upto date as well as your IE or Firefox you should be ok, If in doubt download mcafee site advisor from McAfee SiteAdvisor - Firefox Extension Download for firefox as well as IE. This lets you know if the site you are visiting is safe to browse and download from, as well as giving you a detailed look at why or why not its safe. Its free to download as well and works with all known anti-viruses. Hope this helps v3loc1ty.
    I would suggest considering WOT (Web of Trust) over McAfee SA. From what I have seen, WOT responds much faster to additions of malicious sites than SA. In fact, SA has been woefully slow in making changes, as evidenced, for example, with the two rogues still listed as safe:

xpantispyware-2009.com | Web Safety Ratings from McAfee SiteAdvisor
    xpantivirus2008.com | Web Safety Ratings from McAfee SiteAdvisor

WOT link: Internet Security | WOT Web of Trust

as corrine said, WOT is highly recommended. when i do searches, links have those familiar WOT warning circle thingys telling you if its ok or be cautious.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    I would suggest considering WOT (Web of Trust) over McAfee SA. From what I have seen, WOT responds much faster to additions of malicious sites than SA. In fact, SA has been woefully slow in making changes, as evidenced, for example, with the two rogues still listed as safe:

xpantispyware-2009.com | Web Safety Ratings from McAfee SiteAdvisor
    xpantivirus2008.com | Web Safety Ratings from McAfee SiteAdvisor

WOT link: Internet Security | WOT Web of Trust
    Web of trust works because it is based on peoples actual experience, but I would use it in conjunction with something else. One of the good things in Avg internet security Suite it that it comes with a site adviser and actively scans a site when you search for it.

ive got boat load of security features so im good to go. defender, trend virus, spysweeper, WOT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast