Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will changing anti virus software screw up comp?

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

Default Will changing anti virus software screw up comp?

iam using trend anti virus..and was fantasizing into possibly changing trend to kaspersky..but my comp is used to to trend..and may react differently if use new anti virus software..

and how will kaspersky react to my other program, spysweeper?

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

I have never heard of people having problems with changing anti-vir. I my self went over to Onecare for a while but I didn't like it and went back to Norton and had no problems. I am not saying you wont have problems but its not likely, as long as you have a recent backup of your comp then you should be good to go.

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

thx for reply bro. i may just stick with trend micro. because 1 year of kaspersky is 60 dollars. with trend, the renewal , coming in july will be around 10 or 20 dollars.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

No problem but if your happy with the anti-vir you got and it hasn't let you down in the past then stick with it. I have stuck with Norton for years, a few deviations but I always went back.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Kaspersky installation does a very good job of alerting you about potential conflicts and will not let you proceed until the conflicts are fixed.

It will scan for left over traces of your old AV and ask you to uninstall it even though it is already uninstalled. If this happens you can download an uninstaller for your old AV from their site that removes the left over traces.

It did make me remove Windows Defender on an XP machine but not on my Vista or W7 machines. I never really got a good answer from their support forum for this.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Just make sure you do a good uninstall of the old antivir. Use REVO uninstaller.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by v3loc1ty View Post
    iam using trend anti virus..and was fantasizing into possibly changing trend to kaspersky..but my comp is used to to trend..and may react differently if use new anti virus software..

and how will kaspersky react to my other program, spysweeper?
    I have never know any anti virus programe to cause problems when I've changed from one to another, only when you have two running does there seem to be a conflict. Before I've made up mind what to you I go either for the trial or free versions to see which one I like personally and which one I get along with. Once I've made up my mind I then go online to check the best possible price (taking into account postage) and have saved over 20% off the list price. If I am honest however I keep coming back to AVG because although it's not perfect I know it and there is a saying: If it aint broke don't fix it

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Whatever be the cause, I recommend Kaspersky over all other anti virus programs. And there should not be any problems if you switch from Trend to Kaspersky anti virus. Only thing you need to know is that if you switch to KIS, you need to turn off Firewall (if you are using!).

leofelix is offline Member

You have to uninsistall first Trend Micro if you want to use Kaspersky which I also consider superior.
    In regards to possible conflict between KAV and SpySweeper I found this thread which I hope will be helpful

KIS 7.0 conflicts with SpySweeper? - Kaspersky Lab Forum

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by tweakwindows View Post
    Whatever be the cause, I recommend Kaspersky over all other anti virus programs. And there should not be any problems if you switch from Trend to Kaspersky anti virus. Only thing you need to know is that if you switch to KIS, you need to turn off Firewall (if you are using!).

I am a fan of Kaspersky too. I actually run it on one of my systems (KIS 09). But I have to say that Norton IS 2009 is even better. I run this on 3 other systems. I know that Norton was kicked a lot in the past and I had problems with it too - but the 09 edition is really very good. Very swelte, does scans during idle time, good user interface and it was rated #1 for finding malware in 2 tests.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast