DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got few warnings after setting up external hard drive

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

Question got few warnings after setting up external hard drive

hope its nothing too serious. hate to return it because the item was a final sale, no refunds. anyway, as soon as i set it up, comp detected this:

PAK_Generic.001 threat. which was quarrentined (C:\Users\*my name*\AppData\Lo----)

then theres this- what should i do here? let defender allow these to run?

ran defender scan, nothing. iam running trend anti virus now....
    Last edited by v3loc1ty; 26th January 2009 at 21:01.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

It seems to me that you should leave it as its to do with your backup software. have you only installed it recently? JR

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Those are programs that come with the disk.
    1. A backup program that I would try out. Not sure whether it is for file backup only or can also do imaging. In any case, it is probably a useful utility.
    2. This is a sync program if you ever choose to sync your host files with the ones on the disk. But be careful what you do with it because sync does what it says - make both files exactly the same. Better try it first out on some test files so you know how it is doing the sync.

is all new to me so brace for multitude of questions about said drive -if needs be.

also, after i want to backup onto the drive, can i unplug the drive and how do i store it safely away for later use?
    Last edited by v3loc1ty; 26th January 2009 at 21:59.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Remind me. Are you working on a laptop or desktop?

Just store the Ext HD so it wont get dropped or bumped.

If you are on a desktop why not leave it plugged in and set your backup program to run incremental backups automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by v3loc1ty View Post
    is all new to me so brace for multitude of questions about said drive -if needs be.

also, after i want to backup onto the drive, can i unplug the drive and how do i store it safely away for later use?

yes i have a laptop, compaq presario f700 series. i want to ensure the external drive is safe from any virus that might get inside if its always plugged in..plus, dont have lot of space on desk

whs

I keep mine under the desk - is better, you don't hear it churn. If you are afraid of "intruders", you can just "safely remove". That will cut the power. But then you have to replug the USB cable in order for your system to recognize it again (Autoplay will come up).
    But if you want to really store it away, Do a "safely remove" (important), unplug everything and put it into the closet (handle with care). But as roraniel said, this may not be very practical if you have regular backups scheduled.
    I leave mine on and running all the time on the desktops. I only unplug the USB powered ones on the laptops (but yours has it's own power supply - I think).

yehh i set it for regular backups weekly so i wont be unplugging it. i always move files, delete and add so backup is essential. my laptop has a battery..but its always plugegd in the AC.

err also, when the backup process runs , are the current files backedup previously would be overwritten or replaced by new backup?
    Last edited by v3loc1ty; 26th January 2009 at 23:41.

whs

The programs I know never write over the older file backups. But some write a complete new set and others do incrementals (which, of course, is faster). But with incrementals you always have to keep the root.
    For system imaging, it is similar. All those imaging programs - at least the ones I know (except the free Macrium) initially write a root and then incrementals. If you want to delete anything, you have to delete the whole set (incrementals without the root are not usable). But you can make settings in the programs how many incrementals per root you want and how many sets you want too. You can also allocate a fixed amount of space within which the imaging program will amange all that.
    There is one exceptions, i.e. if you manually force an image (not with the automatic system controlled imaging), then this image is only a root. There will be no incrementals for it.
    Figure a root is in the 25 to 40GB range (I am currently at 56GB, but I have 4 virtual machines too) and an incremental runs from a few megabytes to a few gigabytes.

whats the deal with memeo auto sync and backup program..it said i have only 30 days trial..then id have to buy those software or whatever?..already spent 155 dollars on this HD hmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast