Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I turn off UAC ?

seti is offline Member

Hi Tony
    in your post Unable to play virtual tours - get box with red x ,you asked about UAC and having reading what Corrine wrote there I replied to you. Not only is she a MVP but is something of a security expert as well (sorry Corrine if that is over stating the case) therefore it would be wise to listen to what she says as she is probably right

Giz
    Giz is offline Beginner

Good and bad points for having the UAC enabled. It depends on what you do on your PC, how you use it, and as seti said, are you the only user or is it shared. If you just browse the internet and don't want the hassle of running adware and virus scans regularly, or if it's a multi use family PC then you should probably leave it on.

If you're on top of your security with frequent scans, and like me you're forever installing/uninstalling/downloading programs and stuff then it can be a pain. I disabled it in Vista and Windows 7.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Basically you need to know what your doing if you turn it off. I run Kaspersky Internet Security.

I picked this over just AntiVirus because it has a system security function. This function basically is another type of UAC but it learns your answers for specific applications which is what I wish UAC did.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

@roraniel -- Just be sure you scan any software you plan on installing on your computer with KAS first.

Although it certainly seems that the majority of the infected computers I see these days use AVG, no A/V is exempt. This includes antivirus software using heuristic signatures which key in on specific attributes and/or characteristics in their detection methods which can also result in a higher level of false/positives.

Essentially an antivirus or antimalware software is only as good as the current definitions.

@Seti -- Thank you for the compliment. I would definitely not place myself in the expert category. Its rather that I spend so much time in the security forums and reading security blogs and other articles that I have a bit more exposure than some people do.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Here are my rules to stay out of trouble - for what it's worth:

1. Use common sense. Don't trample all over the net to sites that may be fichy.
    2. Install "McAfee site advisor" as first line of defense.
    3. Get a decent security suite. Norton IS 2009 and Kaspersky IS 09 are rated high this month. But next month it may be Nod32, BitDefemder or G-Data. This is like a car race - which is good, because they make a constant effort to improve.
    4. Make frequent system images. I make one per week using Norton Ghost on some systems and Maxtor Manager on another. But there is a vast selection of free and fee. Disconnect your imaging disk after taking the image if you want to be extra safe.
    5. Install some supervisor programs like Spybot Teatimer or WinPatrol to protect the most sensitive system resources.
    6. Run occasional scans with scanners like Spybot or SuperAntiSpyware
    With this approach I have never been in trouble (knock on wood). And if I really get my system disabled, I pull in last Sunday's image.

There are a few other things that one can do that I have not implemented:
    1. Install your user data on a seperate partition or disk - I have some on USB sticks and SD cards. My PCs look like hedgehogs. Main reason for that is because I move between different locations. That is the easiest way to transport my data and keep it up-to-date.
    2. Frequently backup your data (which I don't do because I do the imaging)

tonyw is offline Beginner

Tried Tweak UAC,did'nt seem to work,I'll keep an eye on other peoples views and the debate re w7.Thanks everybody for your advice/views so far.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

2. Install "McAfee site advisor" as first line of defense.
    I certainly wouldn't make SA a first line of defense, particularly since SA still has one of the notorious rogues marked as safe even though it was reported as a rogue 11 months ago. xpantivirus2008.com | Web Safety Ratings from McAfee SiteAdvisor . This one is also still marked safe: antivirus2009.com | Web Safety Ratings from McAfee SiteAdvisor

Consider WOT as an alternative. It works with both IE and Firefox: Internet Security | WOT Web of Trust

seti is offline Member

Smile

I have gone two ways on this reading things, but in the end I've come out on keeping it on (unless you really know what you are doing) and to be extra safe I've gone back to dear old winpatrol to keep things right. Which makes me ask the question of corrine if you have winpatrol on and turn off UAC will you be protected

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

hi, from my personal experience i just learn that never to disable UAC. it is a control that must be activated, unless your system got attacked by various of harmful elements.
    i turn off UAC once after got frustrated from its prompts for everything but after disabling it with in 48 hrs my system got highly virus, trojans n spywares infected as i use Eset nod32 security suite for system security but that was unable to do anything...
    its prompts are irritating but they are for your security....i found no reason for disabling it.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Ok, after reading this thread and "The great debate" thread I have set UAC to default in W7 and installed Winpatrol 16 Beta.

@corrine, these threads are going to get lost. Would it be possible for you to write a sticky on the virtues of UAC and Winpatrol? Given the apparent likelihood that W7 is going to takeoff like a rocket!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast