DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I turn off UAC ?

tonyw is offline Beginner

Question Should I turn off UAC ?

Recently had problems with UAC blocking sites I wanted to visit, as I have paid for stopzilla and avast + defender, is it safe to leave it off, or switch it on and off as reqired???

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

I Turned mine off as soon as I installed vista a few years ago and I have had no problems. JR

Thanks for that

seti is offline Member

Hi Tony
    User Accounts are a built in as precaution into Vista to stop others users from doing things that you don't want them to do. If you are the only person who uses the pc then it is ok to turn it off. I hear that there are a number of problems with UAC which have been or will be sorted in 7. I have always had mine off and have had no problems as a result

Question

Thanks for that,can you turn off the warning in security centre? otherwise it warns you every time you boot up.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

tonyw, suggest you read this thread - interesting ( Windows Vista User Account Control (UAC) - Why it's useful How-To Geek Forums )

Thanks for that whs- interesting but a bit long winded-don't you think? Could'nt find anything to suggest how to turn off warning?? I had decided to leave it off,but am now undecided again???
    Last edited by tonyw; 2nd February 2009 at 20:29.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Short answer - No. Tune it using Tweak UAC. Screen shot:

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
    Thanks for that whs- interesting but a bit long winded-don't you think? Could'nt find anything to suggest how to turn off warning??

Ya, you are right. But threads have a tendency to get long winded - here and elsewhere. Still, there is usually useful information in it.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

I gave my opinion about UAC in the original thread (including advice regarding SunJava) but will repeat it here since my opinion differs from others stated above.

Antivirus and Antispyware software are only as good as their definition files. They will not stop a drive-by install since there will be no UAC to prevent actions that require administrator permissions (i.e., making changes to Windows Firewall settings and installing or running software that need administrator permissions). With UAC turned off, so is Protected Mode in IE7.

So, with TweakUAC and operating an admin account, there will be no prompt should there be a drive-by install. Don't say it can't happen to you either.

When clicking on the search results for something to do with a server, a close friend who works in the anti-malware group at MSFT got hit by a drive-by install. Knowing the impact of the drive-by's, this friend immediately disconnected the internet connection and restored the system from backup. Although he certainly has the skill to clean clean any infections, he was on his parent's business machine and was not about to take any chances with the data. (Yes, the machine was fully patched.)

(MMPC Blog Post on Rogue Antivirus - A Closer Look at Win32/Antivirusxp) which has a long history of downloading and dropping AV rogues through drive-by.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast