Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malware Oscar : And the winners are...

leofelix is offline Member

Default Malware Oscar : And the winners are...

Social Engineering is a strong way to distribute malware.

Some virus writers use VIP and Movie Stars images in order to distribute malware via e-mail.

There is no antivirus or Operating System immune to human curiosity in my humble opinion.

Panda Labs made a top ten list.. and the winners are Brad Pitt (12.57%) and Tom Cruise (12.14%)

More details here

http://www.pandasecurity.com/spain/h...s?noticia=9554

(In spanish, sorry, you can see the top ten list anyway)

Panda Security - Increased use of spam combined with social engineering to spread malware

(similar news in english)

So, please do not forget to use an antispam, do not click on every attachment, use your knowledge and ask WinVistaClub forum if your are doubtful, of course.

I think that security is mainly a way of thinking
    Last edited by leofelix; 17th February 2009 at 00:28.

seti is offline Member

Talking

Some times I am glad that I am so out of touch, in the early 70's if this had been around I might have been caught out as I looked for pictures and article on Marc Bolan (maythe God Osiris protect him) or for Debbie Harry (but then anything would be worth catching for Debbie ) As you write in the end secuity is down to us, but thing like Web of Trust and my own Avg with Active Surf-Shield and Search Shiled can help. Remember it is like the Tory Party full of promises, but they always fail to deliver, rob your last penny, and you end up in deep doda if you believe them

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

True, these days, spam, using the names of such celebrities, is used to spread malware, because sone folks just cant resist clicking them open when they read subjects like : “Britney Spears hot images”, etc.

Nice find !

Pankaj is offline Senior Member

I never click on any mail in my junk box. but the again 29% of Internet Users have Purchased from Spam , According to New Research from Marshal Sex, Drugs and Software Lead Spam Purchase Growth :: Marshal so obvisously spam pays

mariotrz is offline Beginner

Default SPAM relays on human Curiosity... or should I say dumbness!!!

well....
    the one who clicks on "Click to see last Britney Spears HOT PICTURES..." certainly deserves to catch a malware, virus, spam, whatsoever!!!

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by mariotrz View Post
    well....
    the one who clicks on "Click to see last Britney Spears HOT PICTURES..." certainly deserves to catch a malware, virus, spam, whatsoever!!!
    can some explain to me what "Hot" pictures are meant to be is it an amercian term

@mariotrz : LOL true

Corrine is offline Gold Member

@Seti, I think in the instant example, the adjective "hot" is supposed to be suggestive of "explicit".

seti : That phrase (and more such are mentioned there) have been taken from Panda site.

leofelix is offline Member

thank you all
    May I offer some popcorn?

ultrafunk / products / popcorn

Ultrafunk popcorn is a portable e-mail client and an excellent anti spam: it works with all 32 bit version of Windows.
    1) it's very easy to use
    2) no exploits can damage it
    3) no html, only plain text (but you can view html source through your browser)
    4) you can safely delete messages form server
    5) no chanche for maliciuos attachment to infect your system
    6) support multiple account and works with some web mail like gmail or yahoo mail using SSL
    7) simply run the popcorn.exe save address.ini and popcorn.ini and you you'll be able to check your mail wherever you may be
    and best of all is freeware

@ mariotrz: you're right, but think how many absent minded people there are. Einstein was not stupid but they say he was very absentminded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast