Thread: Standard Admin privileges?

dasmin5 is offline New Member

Default Standard Admin privileges?

My standard account in Vista has lost Administrative privileges. The reason I say this is because; when I use to open my McAfee and make changes; it didn't say, "You have to be an Admin to make changes"; I just could make the changes. Has this every happened in Vista? Your Vista standard account losing Admin privileges.

Thanks in advance

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Your UAC may be turned off. Put UAC into "Help and Support". That will tell you everything about it.

Default It is definitely turned on

That was the first thing I went to check. The problem is a couple a days ago it started asking me to put in me Admin password; when I click on any piece of software. It used to just pop up a screen and say you need Admin rights; do you want to continue. But now it asking me every minute for me to input my password for Admin rights. So I know something is definitely not right. I hope I am not the first person with this type of issue?

Thanks,

DoC

seti is offline Member

The whole point of UAC is to stop unauthorised changes without the administrator doing them. This means that standard users can not do them. The easiest answer is not to log on as a standard user, but to logon as an adminstator. You can do this through UAC. This will still keep your UAC going for stafty reasosns you should have it runinng. I think from what you have said that you were running as an Administator with those privilages not as a standard user and this has been reset to a standard user, possibly by your security suite. Personally I have always run as an Administrator not at the recommeded level because I saw no point in doing so as I am the only one who would make changes. There are many tweakers which will help you change your settings including Ultimate Windows tweaker.

Default Thanks seti

I thank for all the great advice. I believe your totally correct. Because I have a totally separate Admin acct. And I would swear that it also said Admin under my John Doe acct. And then about 3 days ago go now; somehow it changed over to Standard Acct. I will see if I can solve this with the tweekers. One more question: should I delete the other Admin account and make just the one standard Full Admin Acct?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by dasmin5; 10th April 2009 at 13:12.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dasmin5 View Post
    I thank for all the great advice. I believe your totally correct. Because I have a totally separate Admin acct. And I would swear that it also said Admin under my John Doe acct. And then about 3 days ago go now; somehow it changed over to Standard Acct. I will see if I can solve this with the tweekers. One more question: should I delete the other Admin account and make just the one standard Full Admin Acct?

Thank you very much.
    Personally if you are the only who uses it I see no problems with doing so. I just have the one account as Administator and it causes me no problems. And because I am the only who uses this pc I do not have a log on either. If you want just to go onto your pc. type in netplwiz untick the box that says users must use a password to use this pc, or something like that. Enter your password when it asks for confirmation and the next time you start your pc you'll go straight there.

One final thing you must Keep UAC on, because it does help with security and I take that it that you have winpatrol installed if not then do so as it will alert you to any changes. Come to think of it it would have done so this time if had had it on. Glad my advice helped.

Default Problem solved

I figured it out. Somehow my John Doe Administrator got changed to Standard account. I am the only one who use this computer; so I don't know how that would happen? But I figured it out! I guess it's a part of the learning process.

Thank you Seti

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

use ultimate windows tweaker to get solved all your UAC and admin previlleages issues......download it from the homepage of the club....