DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please! PC hacked?

seti is offline Member

Default Help please! PC hacked?

Hi folks
    I have just come by because I need some help. I have an interest in egypt and went onto a forum about it. I now have found out that someone has used my log on details to post that I am dead ! and have been it seems saying things to others that would have come from me. It seems that they have quite a lot of details about me. The first I knew about it was when I went to the site to log on as I was going to do here as I am feeling better now. It seems that my pc has been hacked and that someone is using a similar ip address to the one I have, although my IP says that it is constantly changing when I called them. I want to know how someone could it seems hack my pc with the security that I have and if it is possible to trace where they are. Some one told me that if the attack was by bot then they could have been programmed to point the trace back to me and that some of them are very hard to detect. I have informed my bank etc what has happend. Have you any ideas and how can I salvage my reputation. As you know I never have anything bad to say about another and as you also know I have a wife and a son who died at 2.30 which is the time that I was supposed to have died! This really has upset me and my wife so please any help that you can think off and anything that you can think of that I may use to prove that I am not to blame I would really appricate.

leofelix is offline Member

Hi seti,
    my friend,
    do you mean that someone used your user name and password to log in to a forum and tell other people you are dead?

In this case I think nobody could believe him.

This could be possibile if your computer was connected, you didn't clear cookies and you had some silly guests at home who had this bad idea.

It's also possible you catched a Keylogger
    Keystroke logging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    or a Password stealer software.

Every security software can fail, unfortunately.

At present I can suggest you to download and install MalwareBytes' AntiMalware

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - GT500.org

and run a full scan.

Remember to clear cookies (you can use CCleaner as well) when you exit your default browser.
    Do not allow your browser to remember user name and password.

You can use KeePass 2.7 beta (compatible Vista 64 bit)

Downloads - KeePass

KeePass 2.07 Beta is a little but powerful password manager tool which is designed to help you to easily manage your passwords in a secure way. With KeePass 2.07 you can manager all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. This databases are encrypted using the best secure encryption algorithms such as: AES and Twofish. KeePass 2.07 is a free open source (OSI certified), so you can have a look at its full source and check whether the encryption algorithms are implemented correctly.

Do not forget to change your passwords as soon as possible, of course

In order to trace cyber criminals you must know their ip address at least, please take a look here

http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/

I'm waiting for Corrine or other security experts for other suggestions and/or corrections to what I've just wrote.

How about your eye sight problems my friend?
    I hope you feel better
    Last edited by leofelix; 25th April 2009 at 03:56.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Seti:

I cannot give any advise in addition to the steps leofelix has suggested, but rest assured, you and your family our my families thoughts and prayers.

Take care my friend!

I wondered if you use a WiFi modem/router and above all if you changed your router access password.
    Someone could use TELNET network protocol to steal your internet connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnet

By the way, did you solve in the meanwhile?

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Scan your PC with some good AntiSpyware software....try Webroot Spy Sweeper.

seti is offline Member

Thank you for all of your help. It seems from the help that I had been given that I had a "bot" and that was hidden in an email and may have even come from that site in the first place. These thing can, so I am told lay in wait and then get triggered. I must have upset someone there because I pointed out that they were using copyrighted items. I am told that it is almost impossible to trace them because they can be programmed to deflect their wereabouts back to the IP address even if it changes like it does with my one on broad band. Apprently these things are advertised for sale on the internet! I did exaclty the right things according to the Techyies Ispoken to and that was to inform everyone and change passwords etc as well. I have even changed my email. Unfortuantely, because of the real friendships here I kind of forgot my own rules as to whom to trust. So I've learnt a lesson, and I was fortuante to have such good security in place which worked, but the one thing with that is that it willl only work when you allow it to do so. I would however be interested to hear from Corrine and others about protection against bots.

Off topic: Can I thank you all for you kind messages of support. I am feeling better now and there has been a balance with things. It could be to do with other things, that is my thyroid condition that caused the problems but that is being sorted and I go for more tests. Aly and I would both like to express to you all how gratefull we are to know you cared in what has been quite a worrying period for us. I will be here more often now...

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Seti one small advice i have a nice security setup this happened when i was checkin my usual tech forums and i was updating zone alarm definitions and after few mins zone alarm popped me with a msg at side saying some one from ip is trying to access ur system and change permission so i got ot know some one was trying to sneak in i disabled it and updated nod 32 spywre doctor + malware bytes definitons so zone alarm saved me ...

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

few days ago i too wrongly pass the UAC for a spyware i.e. winpcdefender, then i use webroot spy sweeper suggested by ramesh and it did a perfect job for me but due to security reasons after that i've changed the passwords of almost my every accounts......seti, change the passwords of all your important accounts....

Happy to see you're back seti
    and your PC is safe now.
    I'd like to know if the "bot" you catched was an infected attachment or a malicious script hidden into an image and how you gor rid of it, if possible.
    Thanks.

OT: in relation of your thyroid problems, unfortunately I know what it does it mean as I had my thyroid cut some years ago. A horrible metastasis grow up from my thyroid.
    I think I'm lucky I'm still alive.
    I had 2 surgery operations and every 6 months I had to process myself to a special treatment (radiations exposure, I mean).
    I hope you'll get better soon

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by leofelix View Post
    Happy to see you're back seti
    and your PC is safe now.
    I'd like to know if the "bot" you catched was an infected attachment or a malicious script hidden into an image and how you gor rid of it, if possible.
    Thanks.

OT: in relation of your thyroid problems, unfortunately I know what it does it mean as I had my thyroid cut some years ago. A horrible metastasis grow up from my thyroid.
    I think I'm lucky I'm still alive.
    I had 2 surgery operations and every 6 months I had to process myself to a special treatment (radiations exposure, I mean).
    I hope you'll get better soon
    I do not know how it came to be honest, because sometimes these things can be attached anywhere even on web pages which makes them hard to find. I am no expert so I can not say more than that. I had to completely kill my disk off using killdisk which I ran 3 times for my own sense of security and then reinstalled Vista and as soon as possible loaded my malwarebytes so every thing was checked as it was put on so I knew it was clean. I then went on line and got all the updates and did a trend micro house call so I know that all is well.

OT. Yes I was lucky too and for a man who has been active all of their life not be so now is very frustating and only having a day a month when you feel ok even more so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast