DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Password Manager

Bellaar is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Password Manager

Hello folks I have so many passwords thinking of using a password manager was looking at keepass & others. What are your views on password managers & are they really safe? anybody got any suggestions.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I personally do not use any that integrate with my browser or store my passwords online as I think this is asking for trouble.

I use Password Manager XP and choose to not integrate into the browser. It is not free but I like it's user interface and it works well.

If you go with this one please note that even if you do not integrate it with IE, you still need to go in and disable an ad-on after installation that is used to ask you if want to store any new passwords in the password manager when using a password for the first time.

seti is offline Member

I must admit that I never use one in my browsers and have the settings to clear each time I leave. I tested my passwords witn MS and have come up with ones that I can remember for important sites that I need for. For other sites my details have changed so it doesn't matter if they get hacked as all it will leed to is an unders-used email address.

leofelix is offline Member

I use Secure Login https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4429

as I use Firefox, and I think is really a secure password manager

Secure Login - Mozilla Firefox Add-on

• Integrates with Mozilla Firefox password manager.
    • Provides easy access to the saved passwords.
    • Prevents malicious JavaScript code to automatically steal your login data.
    • Provides an option to protect your login data from all JavaScript code during login.
    • Websites requiring JavaScript for the login process can be added to an exception list.
    • Can prevent cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks to steal your passwords without having to deactivate JavaScript.
    • Helps to protect you from phishing.

Bellaar is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thanks for replys I must admit i do feel uneasy about password managers, as things can go wrong so i will stick with my good memory, no hacker can get into my head.

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

I do a lot of online purchasing so the more I read about hacking / malware / trojans etc just makes me more paranoid about storing passwords digitally. A universal password for all sites is not recommended no matter how secure the password may seem. So it's the old fashioned pad and biro for me.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

I use Roboform Pro myself. Some passwords I let my browser remember for me, others I won't and let Roboform do the work.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I use Roboform Pro myself. Some passwords I let my browser remember for me, others I won't and let Roboform do the work.
    Just curious James as one with more experience than I have why you do what you do as I thought the advice was never to save any passwords anywhere

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Probably the best idea, but for me, it's either that or use one password for every site, which is practically no security.

leofelix is offline Member

Roboform is a very good password manager and is available for free too with some limitations in comparison with pro edition